Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If my turbo isn't going to be covered by my extended warranty, I figure if I have to pay for a new turbo I might as well go k04, since I prefer not to buy a used turbo. Now, I can get a new k04 for 750, which is about as cheap as ive found a new k03.
So my questions are:
I have an apr chip now, can I run the ko4 with that software without any problems?

Do I really need a new exhaust?

Is there anything else I need in order for it to run properly, i.e. bigger fuel injectors, or FPR?

Thanks

·
Founder of the STFA
8,667 Posts
The K04 should run fine in your car with an APR chip and stock exhaust. The K03 programming combined with the stock exhaust should keep boost and MAF from getting too high in the upper rpm's which could lead to lean conditions. If you haven't changed fuel filter or ran some injector cleaner in a while, you may want to do that also. Vag-com after install to check fuel trims and a/f would be a really good idea.

The biggest danger is you'll start spending more $ on mods for exhaust, new programming, etc. Make sure you replace oil supply lines and have them properly heatshielded.

·
Founder of the STFA
8,667 Posts
It's all on here somewhere, check Herman H.'s site and maybe AtomicAlex.

·
Registered
254 Posts
What year is your 1.8t? I would suggest getting the GIAC software...

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Yourface said:
I have a 98, and I already have APR, so switching is low on my list.
I've contacted apr to see if they can help me out.
I also have an APR chip. After seeing that APR has released a transverse K04 kit for VWs, I contacted APR to see if they planned to release a K04 kit for the B5/A4. They gave me the standard non-commital answer.

I hope they do release this for the B5. If they do, I'll probably go with them, but based on their price for the tranverse K04 (seems high to me! :shock: ), if they do put out a K04 kit for us, I'm afraid it might be too pricey. :cry:

For now, I'm waiting to see if they do take care of us B5ers. With the "to do" list I have for my car right now, I'll be busy enough this Summer that I'll be able to wait on them for a while. If they don't come thru for us this year, I may have to go with Awe-Tuning if I still want to go K04. :wink:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts