Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
K04 owners... how long have you had your K04 installed? Any idea how long to expect the life of my turbo?

My car has had a K04 for the past 40k miles. The car has had synthetic oil (Redline, Amsoil or Mobil 1) ever since the 5k oil change.

I have GIAC software (currently the 210cc/min software that uses the 5 bar FPR) Bailey DV, HKS SMF, 2.5" Neuspeed downpipe, 2.5" Neuspeed Exhaust and a front mount intercooler.

Who thinks they have the oldest K04 running?

·
1st Gear
17,568 Posts
Any turbo can last very long...or not long at all....it all depends.

My K03 lasted 84k and it was still good. I changed it to K04 and Ive put 20k+ on the car already. I expect the K04 to last a long time....but I understand that it can go tomorrow.

On average the life expectancy of a turbo is about 60k....but there is many factors.

How you treat it, how often you change your oil....or if you let it cool down. And then again none of those can matter.....

On my k03 I never ever cooled down the car....never a problem, while there is people with 5k that had turbo failures.

In the end........its all about luck!

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was mainly wondering because I don't know what the boost 'limits' are for the K04... and I don't know how close the GIAC programming is putting the turbo to those limits. I know chipped K03's last a bit less than normal especially when they're forced to put out 19-20psi regularly.

·
1st Gear
17,568 Posts
VaRiX said:
I was mainly wondering because I don't know what the boost 'limits' are for the K04... and I don't know how close the GIAC programming is putting the turbo to those limits. I know chipped K03's last a bit less than normal especially when they're forced to put out 19-20psi regularly.
Acctually K03s have been put thru hell and they still take the abuse...some people run over 20PSI on k03s.

Most that chip have no problems.....few here and there, but chipping is pretty safe IMO.

K04 can handle more boost then K03....mine spikes at about 20psi or so....but it just does it more efficiantly and more safer....

Boost limits of k04....Ive hear of people running 24-26psi on these....and many with Stage 3 kits on S4s have been running even more.

With GIAC K04 chip I wouldnt worry...

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Founder of the STFA
8,667 Posts
I don't ever recall seeing a thread on here or AW about a dead K04. Some transverse Vortexers have killed them by running insane amounts of boost without proper regulation, but that's a problem no matter what turbo you're running. :shock:

·
Registered
628 Posts
On the same lines as this subject, I wanted to know if you guys have had any problems with your K04 setups.? I'm very close to making a decision on whether or not to purchase an AWE K04 kit. I want to drive to AWE to have it installed because they warranty the work and the parts. This is my daily driver (02 1.8T TIP/GIAC) and I want more power but it has to be a reliable upgrade. I've been very happy with the power gains from the GIAC chip and my exhaust but want to more!! :lol:

:bow: I would really appreciate your comments and advise as they will help me to make my final decision.

Thanks

·
Registered
396 Posts
My car has had a K04 since the very first Neuspeed kit came out in 1998. It has about 60-70k miles on the K04. Most of this time it has been running with GIAC programming (the early Neuspeed software didn't work so well). Reliability has not been an issue.

The only problem I have had was when I decided to 'upgrade' to the current version of software in the fall of 02. First we had a defective chip or encryption module, then once it was running 'right' find that the AF ratio is not well controlled - rich in the low/mid range, close to lean in the mid/high range, pulling back towards normal on the top end. I am convinced that this fueling issue is why I am only seeing 189 whp with the K04, and TT downpipe/exhaust. It never ran better than on the eary GIAC chip (that did not require a new FPR) - 188hp on the stock exhaust.

The car is fast in the right situation, but in the wrong situation you can feel it bog under the extra fuel.

Regardless of all this, I have no bad comments about the reliability of the turbo or the AWE/GIAC kit (actually AWE's service was great when I was having chip issues). However, I would be willing to try something different on the chip side to see if she can run better.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Chois said:
My car has had a K04 since the very first Neuspeed kit came out in 1998. It has about 60-70k miles on the K04. Most of this time it has been running with GIAC programming (the early Neuspeed software didn't work so well). Reliability has not been an issue.

The only problem I have had was when I decided to 'upgrade' to the current version of software in the fall of 02. First we had a defective chip or encryption module, then once it was running 'right' find that the AF ratio is not well controlled - rich in the low/mid range, close to lean in the mid/high range, pulling back towards normal on the top end. I am convinced that this fueling issue is why I am only seeing 189 whp with the K04, and TT downpipe/exhaust. It never ran better than on the eary GIAC chip (that did not require a new FPR) - 188hp on the stock exhaust.

The car is fast in the right situation, but in the wrong situation you can feel it bog under the extra fuel.

Regardless of all this, I have no bad comments about the reliability of the turbo or the AWE/GIAC kit (actually AWE's service was great when I was having chip issues). However, I would be willing to try something different on the chip side to see if she can run better.

Thanks Chois.... I think if I do it I'm going to pay the extra $175 to get dyno, AF, and boost test done by AWE. If I'm going to spend the money I want results and I want the car to be reliable!!!

Please I need more K04 reviews/opinions!!! :bow: I don't want to resort to begging... :lol:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts