Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
My recollection is that most folks ran into trouble, not in their initial application, but when they cleaned/re-oiled their K&N airfilter. Apparently they used too much oil and that caused a problem with their MAF. A costly mistake.

Many people were/are dumping them and going back to the OEM set-up.

·
Banned
8,975 Posts
You gotta keep in mind that the K&N filter oil that comes with the filter has been sitting in a box for months, curing and hardening as oil does when it's left to sit, whereas the oil applied by the end-user is still very liquid when the filter gets reinstalled. The best way to use K&N filters in a sensitive setup is to use two of them -- use one til it gets dirty, then clean and re-oil it but let it sit in a plastic bag in your garage, and install the second one in the car.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm aware of the K&N issues people talk about, what I guess I'm really interested in knowing is has anyone here actually blown a MAF sensor with a K&N, original packaging or re-oiled?

·
Registered
150 Posts
I've had the K&N in the oem intake for 38,000 miles, no problems.
The filter has been oiled twice; as purchased, and I have cleaned & "recharged" it once.

·
Grinding Gears...gone fishing!
22,610 Posts
over oiling is what causes problems.
i had one in my A4 and passat with 0 problems.
i just went back to paper, cause im sick like that.

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Oil impregnated filters (K&N, ITG, et al) were developed for severe operating environments - like desert racing.
I stayed oem on my W8, but not because I thought it was harmful.

I'm not sure about the K&N being 1/2 the size of the oem filter?
Same length, same width?

·
Registered
11,873 Posts
Oil impregnated filters (K&N, ITG, et al) were developed for severe operating environments - like desert racing.
I stayed oem on my W8, but not because I thought it was harmful.

I'm not sure about the K&N being 1/2 the size of the oem filter?
Same length, same width?
I think he is referring to pelts

·
Banned
8,975 Posts
I use a K&N in my 1.8t because I want to minimize the stress on the turbo inlet hose. I can stand to spray-clean my MAF from time to time, now that I know that's all it takes to fix it.

Oiled filters have the huge advantage of being sticky instead of restrictive. They don't have to mechanically trap contaminants because they can chemically trap them.

·
Founder of the STFA
8,667 Posts
I use a K&N in my 1.8t because I want to minimize the stress on the turbo inlet hose.
I swore I would never respond to another post by the Big Deuce, but I have to understand WTF this means. Please enlighten me and the rest of PW to this piece of genius.

·
Founder of the STFA
8,667 Posts
:thumbup:

1 - 20 of 47 Posts