Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I cleaned and re-oiled my K&N Filter for the 1st time last week. It was over due. I sprayed the cleaner, washed it out and dried it out in the sun for 2 days. Then I sprayed the oil and 20 minutes later sprayed a bit more to get some white spots. After installation I noticed a very smooth acceleration. But I also noticed that the boost wasn’t exactly there. It just didn’t have that punch anymore.

Now a weak later, my Engine Check light is on.

Could I have over oiled?

This filter is not as deep as the OEM. Does it sit on the rim of the box or do I need to push it down further?

Thanks.

·
Registered
352 Posts
the filter should fit on the rim of the box and close verry tightly. if you over oiled it, i dont think you should worry about it. the oil will just circulate into the motor and be burned away.

as for your CEL, maybe you unplugged/loosen some vaccum hose while in the prosses of cleaning you filter. or it could be something else(not related to you filter)

i have a K&N like yours and i havent had any problems.(know on wood)

good luck, hope this helped.

Alfredo

·
Registered
5,896 Posts
Yes, some people have had problems with the MAF sensor and check engine light coming on due to the filter being over oiled. I have a K&N filter in mine and never had this problem before. I followed the instruction of another :b5: er on this when it comes to cleaning:

After you wash it and it is fully dry, oil it but don't over do it. Let it sit some more and respray it, VERY LIGHLTY . But after that, give it another 20 minutes then put it in a plastic bag and swing it around for a few minutes, it will remove all of the extra oil from the filter and catch it in the bag :thumbup: . Reinstall your filter :thumbup: . You might want to clean your MAF sensor as well, just to make sure, but that should do it, good luck........................Rah.

·
Registered
642 Posts
I have an ITG filter (similar to K&N, but made of foam). My filter doesn't sit at the top of the box, I had to push mine down into the box to close it... are you sure the K&N sits on top like the stock air filter?

IMO - the closer the filter is to the top the more chance of getting oil in the MAF...

·
4th Gear (Wax on Wax off)
4,974 Posts
crew217 said:
and people claim that the K&N gives them no problems . . . . :roll:
It doesn't .. the over oiling of the K&N on recharge is the problem .. Not the K&N.

Also the K&N sits on the same position as the stock .

·
Registered
5,050 Posts
Jesstzn said:
crew217 said:
It doesn't .. the over oiling of the K&N on recharge is the problem .. Not the K&N.

I guess it doesn't matter that stock, the K&N lets by so much more dirt & etc to begin with. Even when they're oiled from the factory, I've seen many oil soaked bags before . . . it just slowly kills your maf . . . .

Dave

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
crew217 said:
Jesstzn said:
crew217 said:

I guess it doesn't matter that stock, the K&N lets by so much more dirt & etc to begin with. Even when they're oiled from the factory, I've seen many oil soaked bags before . . . it just slowly kills your maf . . . .

Dave
The Pre screen filter is going to catch any tiny particles before it reaches the K&N for sure :wink:

·
Registered
5,050 Posts
Warped said:
crew217 said:
Jesstzn said:
crew217 said:

Dave
The Pre screen filter is going to catch any tiny particles before it reaches the K&N for sure :wink:
yet the filter still manages to get dirty . . . . gee lemme think about that :crazy:

Dave

·
Registered
200 Posts
I wonder how K&N has survived so many years as a company, how they've sold miliions upon millions of filters over their tenure in the automotive market, and how they've remained the suggested filter manufacturer for most tuners (chip manufacturers, etc.) when their design is obviously so poor and causes so many problems, and expensive failures IE. MAF's? :crazy: :crazy:

·
Registered
5,050 Posts
HamrWebDesign said:
I wonder how K&N has survived so many years as a company, how they've sold miliions upon millions of filters over their tenure in the automotive market, and how they've remained the suggested filter manufacturer for most tuners (chip manufacturers, etc.) when their design is obviously so poor and causes so many problems, and expensive failures IE. MAF's? :crazy: :crazy:
Same reason people still use sweet and low every day when they know it causes cancer in rats. Why people still get suckered by door to door salesmen & jehovah's witnesses. . . . etc etc.

Dave

·
Registered
200 Posts
crew217 said:
HamrWebDesign said:
Same reason people still use sweet and low every day when they know it causes cancer in rats. Why people still get suckered by door to door salesmen & jehovah's witnesses. . . . etc etc.

Dave
This is a little bit different. We're talking about millions of consumers loosing billions of dollars combined throughout the World and these losses are all being linked to one easy to find manufacturer.

I'm not sure what your background is and don't want to insult you but I assure you K&N Filters are not the root cause of your guys MAF problems. I have some experience in this area, both personal and professional.

·
Registered
5,050 Posts
HamrWebDesign said:
crew217 said:
HamrWebDesign said:

Dave
This is a little bit different. We're talking about millions of consumers loosing billions of dollars combined throughout the World and these losses are all being linked to one easy to find manufacturer.

I'm not sure what your background is and don't want to insult you but I assure you K&N Filters are not the root cause of your guys MAF problems. I have some experience in this area, both personal and professional.
Not solely targeting K&N . . . pretty much targeting all oiled air filters. K&N is just the most widely known brand. K&N will offer more flow than a paper filter when dirty, however it won't filter out fine particles which will get into the engine and accelerate wear as well as suck in oil from the filter which can apparently kill the MAF . . . . either way, you can't deny the fact that they don't filter out as well as a stock paper one does. Other reusuable filter manufacturers have tried to combat the poor filtration issue by offering weaved cotton & other varying ways.

I will say though that I would take a K&N over a foam filter anyday . . . . those let in a lot more crap supposedly.

In case you haven't read this even tho its been posted like 100x . . . its worth a read. http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest1.htm . . . the flow and filtration tests are rather interesting as well as K&N's response.

Dave

·
Registered
325 Posts
On the other hand, there have also been numerous UOA's on bobistheoilguy with people running K&N's which have returned average or lower than average Si ppm readings which indicates the K&N's are doing an adequate job of air filtration.

And if a K&N doesn't filter as well in a given application, what does that mean in the long run? Mobil 1 claims with their synthetic oil there is almost no measurable cylinder wear at 200k miles. Would running a K&N and Mobil 1 mean an engine needs to be rebuilt due to cylinder/bearing wear at 200k or would there just be slightly more measurable wear at that point and have another 100k miles of wear left in it? I've yet to see someone correlate these ppm readings to actual engine life. I don't think most people keep their cars anywhere near long enough to worry about increased wear from a K&N causing a problem.

Matt

The MAF issue is more troubling, but there have also been MAF failures reported by those running OEM filters.

·
Registered
5,050 Posts
mtrostel said:
On the other hand, there have also been numerous UOA's on bobistheoilguy with people running K&N's which have returned average or lower than average Si ppm readings which indicates the K&N's are doing an adequate job of air filtration.

And if a K&N doesn't filter as well in a given application, what does that mean in the long run? Mobil 1 claims with their synthetic oil there is almost no measurable cylinder wear at 200k miles. Would running a K&N and Mobil 1 mean an engine needs to be rebuilt due to cylinder/bearing wear at 200k or would there just be slightly more measurable wear at that point and have another 100k miles of wear left in it? I've yet to see someone correlate these ppm readings to actual engine life. I don't think most people keep their cars anywhere near long enough to worry about increased wear from a K&N causing a problem.

Matt

The MAF issue is more troubling, but there have also been MAF failures reported by those running OEM filters.
yea but the point is that if you look at the difference in flow, its quite negligible. Only in ridiculously high horsepower vehicles would they see a difference in a few hp performance. So what's really the point of owning one? It doesn't increase your performance and it doesn't filter as well and is expensive.

Dave

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
OK....I cleaned my MAF sensor and it seemed to work....the 'Engine Check' light went away and I had that boost again.

But after 1 week....It's back again.

What should I do?
How should I clean the sensor? I just used a paper-towel wraped around a flathead screwdriver a week ago.

I really love my chipped passat...but it's stuff like this that makes me regret that I have tinkered with it!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.