Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i want to get a k&n airfilter for my b5.5 passat but should i get the cone airfilter or the flat drop in one? which would give me better performance if any? what sort of hp gain would i be looking at? i heard i could get up to five but which airfilter would give me this gain?

·
Punches Dubs. True Story
9,982 Posts
Do you have the stock airbox? If so, flat rectangular air filter is your only option.

Do you have an aftermarket cold air intake? If so, cone filter is likely your only shot.

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
The operative phrase is "up to 5bhp gain" - 1bhp is "up to 5bhp".
A K&N might give you 1 or 2bhp gain, but I don't think you'd ever measure it on the dyno as proof.

·
what the heck is an echo of gecko anyways...
1,960 Posts
Not to mention that it's commonly beleived that the K&N filter oil is pretty rough on our MAF sensors. I had the K&N for a while and replaced it with a paper filter and didn't even notice a difference, deffinitely not worth damaging a $300 sensor IMO.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
instead ive decided on gettin a new intake system...nothing big just the piping, filter, and heat shield. whats a good brand to look up?

·
Registered
126 Posts
if you want power look into upgrading your exhaust...if you have a 1.8T a chip is at least 1000% more effective for making power....replacing certain intake pipes and a boost controller will also be much more effective.

either way, there is no where to get cold air in that engine bay...if you have tiptonic, lots of good has been said about
"tip-chip's" they usually are included in chip packages and get rid of that annoying delay

Just my $.02...

·
Registered
358 Posts
If you have a v6, I would not even bother with an air filter. Supercharge it with the PES kit and get an exhaust and call it a day.

-Salieri

·
Moderator/Administrator
25,308 Posts
I agree, replacing other intake tract pieces will give you much more effect that sticking a cone on it. For instance, replacing the turbo inlet pipe (TIP) for an aftermarket piece could get 5-10hp easy on a chipped 1.8T.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well i have a v6...i was actually plannin on installing a new intake after i supercharge it (around spring time)..would that make a difference considering i may or may not have more space for the cone and pipe?

also and sc question..

what main things should i have my car cheked and tested for b4 i installe it....scaudi has a list of a million things incl timing belt (im at 50k..should i?) , compression test, leak down test (???), vag scan, etc.

could i jus go to vw and tell them about the sc and see if they can just do the tune-up and tests? or should i go into specifics/what scaudi is tellin me..

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
At 50k miles, I would go ahead and do the TB, waterpump, etc.
I don't know that at your miles I would worry as much about the compression and leak down tests. VAG scan is never a bad idea - it lets you know if anything abnormal is going on.
PESs G2 is designed to run fine on a stock intake and exhaust.
Evo MS makes a short air ram intake w/ cone filter (PES sells the EvoMS kit too - look under Audi A4 2.8).
I ran that intake on my V6 4Motion, and liked it - follow the instructions correctly, and the stock intake ducting feeds directly onto the filter, under the oem plastic cover piece. It also has a heat shield.
EvoMS used to have the installation instructions on their website in .pdf format.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts