Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

61 - 80 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Nice car(s)! Loooooooove the color choice! I think with the start of the new year, I've finally come around to really liking the looks of the PQ46. Especially with the Samarkands.

:sleep:

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Nice car(s)! Loooooooove the color choice! I think with the start of the new year, I've finally come around to really liking the looks of the PQ46. Especially with the Samarkands.

I had just about the same reaction. At first debut of the B6, I liked a few things and didn't like a few things - overall I didn't think it looked as sharp as the B5. When the wagon came along, I actually liked a few of the lines better than the sedan...but still didn't think it looked quite as sharp as the B5.5 wagon (especially my W8 which I love the look of).

But over the months, I would see more and more of them, modded ones, ones with nicer wheels, etc...and suddenly they were looking sharper to me, and fresh compared to the older B5/5.5 design.

The mocha/latte combo hooked me the very first moment I saw the color chart - I've always liked strange and different colors you don't often see on the road (I had a crayon green BMW, a mustard gold Hyundai, and a beige/white two-toned Montero!). It was a sharp and clean looking car sitting on the dealer lot...but maybe not as sporty as the W8.

Fortunately, after taking those preview pics when the car arrived at the dealership, I didn't see it again for 5 days while they added a few mods to it. When I went back Tuesday to seal the deal, it had the painted calipers, the chrome mirrors, and the tint on, and looked SO much sportier and sharper! I can't wait for the weekend off of work to wash the car (it rained the day after I picked it up) and snap some pics!

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
ya im gonna go to gunther right now and buy it :)
I'm running the extra sets of keys over this weekend - the ones that have never been used. They should have it all polished up and hitting the lot soon - it didn't need anything but an oil change, a leather clean, and a fresh wax. It'll be waiting for you! :)

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Updated pics on original post - nice, shiny, new pics!!

·
Registered
240 Posts
Welp, I'm officially the 2nd owner of a black 2003 W8 Variant. It'll be undergoing a little bit of restoration work, but with luck she'll be ready for her close-up in time for the upcoming GTG :)

PS - Let me know how I can get those OEM parts from ya. Also, is there a specific model XM receiver for the dash mount, or does it use some universal thing? I've never done sat radio, but since the car's all rigged for it I might as well go for it ;)

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Congrats! Good to know it'll be in the loving hands of an enthusiast and not unappreciated by someone just looking for wagon space!

The XM dash recepticle is specifically designed to fit the XM Roady XT unit. This is a very small, metal color unit that can be used in car, at home, or in a boombox, so it is the most convenient type of sat radio. They are very inexpensive - all that car rigging cost more than the radio! I usually see them at most electronic stores for between $49 - 69, depending on the sales that week.

As for the OEM parts...do you ever find your way to Coral Springs? If so, I work in Coral Springs M_F from 9-5, so if you were going to be in the area, I can just bring the stuff to my office and give you the office address to pick it up.

Shoot me an e-mail ([email protected]) if you'll be in the area.

Otherwise, we can work out something maybe on a weekend.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
Some update photos! I had been hunting for tips for the 4motion exhaust since I picked up my car, and came upon a simple, quick fix that works quite well until I get around to actually welding on a new set of tips from the muffler.

I stopped by the local Audi shop and checked if parts department had any of the chrome exhaust tips from the 99-01 A4, which were offered as covers that slid over the stock pipes and then bolted onto the neck. They had what I was looking for, and I checked them against the 3.6L exhaust outlets on my wagon...they slid on perfectly snug, exactly the same diameter:

The angle cut of the VW exhaust is a bit more aggressive than the Audi tips, but they still fit right over the stock pipes. The neck of the pipes tapers in about 3 1/2 inches in, and that's where the 3 hex-nuts on the Audi tips clamp on. The two Audi tips come with the 3 hex nuts each, and a small tube of LokTite.

The install is ridiculously easy - clean off your stock tips, slide on the Audi tips right over the top (they fit real snug, so a rubber mallet might help) until the top edge seats into the rolled lip of the Audi tips. The bottom of the VW exhaust won't quite reach the rolled lip, because of the more aggressive angle. Then, just insert and tighten the hex nuts with some Loktite to keep them screwed in.

I am happy I found a cheap solution for now - these are old parts and you might need to search around the Audi parts departments for some old ones in stock. If they find them, they should be willing to negotiate a great price (I think they listed for $86, but you can get them for half that) just to unload old inventory. I may still have full double-walled tips welded on right from the muffler sometime in the future, but that is a more involved and expensive job. For now...I'm very happy with the look!

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Oh...and I finally snapped some interior pics of the latte machiatto leather and wood/aluminum dash:

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
Thank you! Looking forward to the GTG - hopefully I can get the clear front turn signals and euroswitch/DRL kill mods done before then!

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
I'm thinking about it. I hear Revo's got one going...I'm hoping others are following soon. By the time we get to the next GTG, maybe I can get chipped!

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
I try to stay out of the dispute between those two - running the SLFGTG I've had all I can handle of the bickering and refuse to take a side - I'll let them figure that one out on their own. I personally have a good relationship with APR and would trust their chip...I have less experience with Revo. I'm hoping to hear more chippers get on board with 3.6 tuning so there are lots of options!

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
It's called the "let's clone out the two people walking the dog across my driveway" witchcraft! ;) I basically was just removing the people from the shot, as my flash had illuminated the reflectors on their shoes and their bright colored shirts. I had to clone into the Touareg a bit since they were reflected in the side, and then got lazy and didn't continue cloning the rest of the way across. If it was a 'keeper' shot, I would have finished the cloning job...but since it was just to show the interior, I left it alone. and you're the first to point it out! :)

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
The SFLGTG 16 is on TODAY! Just another 10 hours or so. Hope to see some B5 and B6ers there in force.

Guess I should drop some more recent photos in here - keep forgetting to update this! I don't have any shots above with the chrome roof rails, so here are some updated shots as to how my baby's looking now:

61 - 80 of 91 Posts