Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I knew what the movie was about before watching it, yet I was unprepared for what I saw. For reference, for those unfamiliar with the film - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0420901/.

The part that really sunk the hook is the end of the movie when they show the UN Press Secretary quibbling over the interpretation of the word "genocide". By that point it literally makes you shake with anger. The statistics at the end are also very grabbing - 800,000 people murdered between April and July of 1994 in some of the most inhumane ways possible.
I highly recommend you see this film, but it is not an easy watch. Plus, be prepared to quickly lose all interest in the load of hypocritical bullshit we are fed daily from all angles. Any justifications for Bosnia and Iraq lose all of their meaning in light of this horror.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
vista_cruiser said:
The west is making a huge mistake in ignoring Africas problems. It is terribly sad.

Huge mistake how?

It doesn't affect how we get our oil. And until it does, it won't matter. And the West/USA will not do anything about it until it/we have an economic incentive. Asking Americans to be sensitive to atrocities does not work. The problem must be aligned with their pocketbooks.

I do commend people for continuing to attempt documenting these problems for posterities sake.

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Macabre said:
What do you propose western countries should be doing in Africa?
Mac, you should watch this movie. Literally, anything would have been better than what happened. We have the resources to really make a difference in the world, only they are being utilized to promote our executive branch's nut sack.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Macabre said:
What do you propose western countries should be doing in Africa?
Mac, I don't know the answers but I know that when I see large scale genocide being carried out and see massive levels of starvation, disease, and poverty mixed with Islamic extremism taking hold I see both a tragically sad and dangerous situation. I would have liked to have seen military intervention in Rwanda and Sudan on a multinational level, I would have like to have seen Europe step up and led the effort because I can only see criticism coming from any US involvement both from home and abroad. I would like to see more economic interest taken in Africa by western nations and closer political relationships developed however I would have no ideas on how to foster such developments. It is a terribly difficult situation, but it is plain to see that not enough is being done by any nation with the power to bring about positive changes for the people of Africa. I feel that there will be a time in the near future when the west will begin to pay for its failures in Africa and I believe that Europe will take the brunt of the retribution. Then again I understand that past western "involvement" on the continent has probably played a large role in Africa being in the current condition it is in.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
kezho said:
Mac, you should watch this movie. Literally, anything would have been better than what happened.
Agreed

We have the resources to really make a difference in the world, only they are being utilized to promote our executive branch's nut sack.
However the responsibility and blame does not solely, or even mainly, rest upon the USA and certainly does not rest entirely on the current administration.

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
vista_cruiser said:
Agreed

However the responsibility and blame does not solely, or even mainly, rest upon the USA and certainly does not rest entirely on the current administration.
I very much agree with you. In the movie most of the blame was directed at the UN. I personally can't believe any country can idly stand buy and watch, without doing a thing.

·
Registered
5,885 Posts
mghunt said:
Drug companies have been testing their drugs there for a while now.
Um, no.

If anything Africa is now producing "Super AIDS" because the Africans aren't (and can't be) consistent with the drug regimens that the US government/pharma companies give them for free. Super AIDS will be almost 100% antiretroviral-resistant. The only way to cure Super AIDS is sex with virgins.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
JamesBondage said:
...pharma companies give them for free....
aka, drug testing. Call it what you will.

BTW, AIDS isn't the only disease over there. Pharm companies have been testing....I mean, distributing free malaria and anti-parasite drugs for some time now.

-Mark

1 - 18 of 18 Posts