Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok it was kinda funny to see Hollywood's portrayal of what Milwaukee looks like. Even though the commercials say Everett, WI the movie sets it up like its a suburb of Milwaukee. Everyone in the audience was laughing at the background shots of what was "supposed" to be Milwaukee.

Even though my girlfriend hated the movie I actually liked it. Not liked it like Matrix liked it but it was enjoyable. It was a fun movie to see. Made me think what I would do if this actually happened. All in all, I'll give it an 8 out of 10.

Just wondering what other people thought of the movie...

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Yeah, I'm going to buy it when It comes out. For Sure.

The editing was SUPER good.

I could totally relate to "Steve"!

In bed that night I also thought about how I would kill my neighbor if she ran in my house screaming for brains...

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
was it super horrifying?? :wink:

go see Passion of the Christ, now that is intense :poke: :shock:

·
Registered
244 Posts
I saw the 1978 Romero original several times when it first came out. It was bitingly funny and intelligent. From what I've read, the remake has nothing new to offer.

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
I'll see it but expect little. Remakes offer little to the horror genre. Technology did nothing for Psycho (neither did Vince Vaughn) and I would expect the same result.

·
Registered
11,541 Posts
Passion of the Christ made me :cry: Not from the scenes of cruelty or violence but the sense of hopelessness I feel when I think about why people can't love one another/get along more peacefully. :(

·
Registered
476 Posts
I don't understand why they did a remake of a sequel.

Night of the Living Dead was a classic, of course, but the original "Dawn" was the same story with a decent budget.

It's like doing a remake of "Airport '75."

·
Registered
936 Posts
i saw it and one thing bothered me....

Andy on the roof...the gun shop owner....

WHY the hell didnt he shoot all them zombies???

he offed a few for fun, but if it were me, and i had several thousand rounds of ammo, id kill as many as possible....

then i would have driven that cargo truck with a few of the survivors strapped on top of it with guns shooting zombies to the friggin grocery store... :roll: :D

but i guess they had to have them panic and die for the entertainment aspect :p

·
Registered
244 Posts
Firefly6 said:
Night of the Living Dead was a classic, of course, but the original "Dawn" was the same story with a decent budget.
That's not true at all. Both films use the same zombie-invasion premise, but in totally different ways.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I too saw Dawn of the Dead this past weekend. I actually thought it was pretty good. It had some typical horror movie moments. For instance, there are the characters you care about and want to live and there are characters that you want to see die because they are such a**holes. There also aren't any discernible underlying messages or social commentary like the original. However, the remake is tons better in terms of being scary and visually interesting. I rented the original to compare. While the original is superior in terms of story telling, you can't help but laugh at the zombies. They walk about as fast as a 90 year old woman with stiff joints and a bad hip and have purple faces. Ooooh...scary. :p

·
Registered
577 Posts
Dawn of the Dead is one of those movies thats really a terrible movie...But its still great. Not much of a plot except for mass killing of zombies and staying alive, but its entertaining so who cares?! :lol:

worth seeing :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Just came back from the Mantinee, and I have to say it gets a 'B+' from me! :thumbup:

I will say that I was dissapointed in it being a horror movie. Ya, it was suspenseful at times, but not really all in a scary way. I don't know how to exactly explain it, but I didn't get the feeling of dread that I felt with the original romero films. For one, you didn't get too see too much gore in termns of live ppl getting torn apart. There's some biting, a lot of headshots/head punctures, and a good chainsaw scene. The make-up for the zombies was excellent though! They are prob some the some of the creepiest bunch of zombies However, while overall I enjoyed the gore, the original worked a little better, albeit the effects prob weren't as realistic.

As an overall action movie, I would say it was really cool! The pacing was good, the length was just about right (felt it was a little over an hour, instead of 1hr 50mins). The violence was pretty intense. The chroegraphy/cinematography and lighting were very well setup. The directing and editing were also very effective (I especially liked the intro and the ending credits, which viewers should def stay for). It's actually pretty stylish fim, in a subtle yet refined way if you pay attention to the directing.

The story/plot was also very good imo, in that there really was not much of a story at all. Just a bunch of guys trapped, having fun in the mall while they could, and attempt an escape when they got desparate. Along the way, a lot of characters die off. There is a teeny bit romance involved, but it never becomes distracting. The plot is nothing fancy, but somehow it feels realistic and appropriate. The ending is good. Nobody in the cinema was laughing, but I found certain scenes (Burt Reynolds, the baby, the fat lady) to be worthy dark humor. The only thing I did not like about the plot is that ppl do some pretty silly/unbelivable things a few times.

While I wouldn't say it was a great film, overall I liked Dawn a lot. It was just a really good action flick, that I personally found a lot more entertaining than last year's action 'blockbusters' (Pirates, X2, Matrix Revolutions, gentlemen, etc). It def doesn't top 'City of God' though. Generally, I don't care much for action movies, but this film felt very satisfying afterwards. Do try to get a chance to watch it in a good cinema though. As with any decent action film, you would not be doing it justice by renting it. It's a film that's a lot more enjoyable on a big screen with a good sound system.

I also wouldn't say it's a direct adaptation of the origianl Dawn. There's absolutely no satire or social profoundness involved, which is cool with me either way. The plot and feel are very different. I liked the original more, but I also enjoyed this one a lot. I will say I haven't seen such a satisfying zombie flick since Romero's 'Day of the Dead' (and yes, I have seen 'dead alive' and the italian zombie films, which I didn't care for as much).

I don't want to add any more spoilers, other than you should stay to watch the rolling credits to see the ending. In retrospect, I don't think everyone will like this film. It's def not everone's cup of tea, but I do think it's worth checking out! :beer:

·
Registered
402 Posts
I was thinking of maybe starting the Society Against the Killing of Zomies (SAKZ). I mean someone has to look out for these zombies just like any of God's creatures.

But then I thought maybe I should start the Society for the Advancement of Killing Stuff (SAKS) and that sounds much better.

I saw an interview where the director said that he loved the fact that he could kill as many zombies as possible becuase no one is against it, so I couldn't resist. Hmmm, 50,000 or so poeple in my town, maybe I need more ammo.

·
Registered
709 Posts
as an avid George Romero fan, I must tell people this:

The only relation this new Dawn of the Dead has with the old one is that it takes place in a mall and there's zombies running about looking for flesh. That's it. The original had 4 people in the mall which was infested with zombies at the time, this one had like 12 and the mall was empty. there really wasn't anything similar other than those two aspects.

As for my feelings about the film, I thought it was pretty f'n good. When I first saw that they were "remaking" the film, I got really pissed, because the original is a masterpeice as far as zombie flicks are concerned, and is considered the best zombie flick of Romero's "Dead" trilogy (Romero's favorite is "Day of the Dead"). I figured they were gonna make a mockery of the original and turn it into a shitty movie. Then the more and more previews I saw for it, the more I realized that it's gonna be nothing like the film outside of the 2 aspects, and it's just gonna be a kick ass zombie romp, which is exactly what it was.

I enjoyed the hell out of this movie. I was glued to the screen from beginning to end. It was action packed, it was violent as all get out, it was funny, and honestly it was a well written plot.

Oddly enough, in the original Dawn of the Dead, the four main characters fly on top of the mall in a helicopter, before they gwet in the helicopter to take off from the airport they meet up with some other guys who are leaving on a boat to go to an island, and when asked what island they said "Any island". I think it's kinda cool that they took the original concept of being in the mall, and turned the plan to escape into the plan people they ran into in the original had.

Also, the effects were killer. Tom Savini was the guy who did the original gore effects (the ones you see in the picture a few posts above mine), and he also worked on this film as well.

I thought the movie kicked ass and I would defenitely see it again in a heartbeat. It was very well done and I give it a 9/10... partially because I love zombie flicks.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts