Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
after putting new 17" rims on my car has developed a knocking sound from the front passanger side, when turning right it gets worse, sort of sounds like a warped disc kind of noise,but it only appeared when i put rims on, could the bolts be too long? what could be causing this?

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
You MUST use bolts that are matched to the wheel you are using. Are you using the bolts from the factory wheel? If so, that very well could be the problem!

Oh, and I wouldn't drive the car. You may be doing damage to your rotor.

Another possibility is a wheel weaight is interfering with something. But I really think it is the bolts.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
just been out and tightened the bolts and the noise has gone, must have loosened abit after a short drive, only problem is the bolts i got with the wheel have a very odd size and i just snapped the bit which i cant replace?

·
Grinding Gears...gone fishing!
22,610 Posts
did those lugs come with the rims???
find out what bolts you need before you are doing 70 on the highway and the lugs snap!!!!!!

·
Registered
141 Posts
This happened to me with the aftermarket rims and lugs they gave me from wheelguyz.com (Dont buy from them fellow VW erz, they are a nightmare in custormer service) Ended up being the wrong size lug stem. Check you have the correct length stem and make sure your lug isnt bottoming out on the rim. Also make sure the rim sits on the hub properly. If you have to apply lug pressure to have the rim sit proper than the rims werent made for you...

·
Registered
9,154 Posts
1) Improper offsetting dimension, this could explain the fender rubbing during turns.

2) Not knowing what type of wheels you have, but they should have lug centric bolts and not hub centric type. Off center wheels on highway speed = disaster waiting to happen.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts