Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I Just Bought The Car And The Oil Pressure Light Is Comming On, When I Check The Oil, It Is At A Reasonable Amount. It Appears That I Dont Have Any Leaks, Can Anyone Give Some Insight To My Problem?

·
Registered
589 Posts
Welcome to the club - I also have a 99 1.8T, and love it.

I checked my Haynes manual, and the low pressure light is not to signify that your oil level is low, but that the pressure is.

I am not a mechanic, but it appears it could either be the oil pressure sending unit, bearings, or the oil pump itself.

I'm sure someone with more experience will answer, and send you in the right direction

Just wanted to let you know it has nothing to do with the oil level.

Good luck

Bill

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
what they said above are all possibilities. i'd start by getting an oil pressure gauge, and actually checking the oil pressure, and move on from there.

·
Registered
4,237 Posts
How long ago did you buy it? It takes some digging, but sometimes there is a legally implied 'warranty' that comes with the car, even if it's sold 'as is'.

Does the light come on all of the time, or only during certain conditions like idling? I'd almost not drive it at all until you can confirm there's 'some' oil pressure there...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i purchased it about three weeks ago, and ive already had to replace the abs module, and cv boots. it has 139k miles but runs great for the mileage. im have the oil pump checked this weekend, and im also having the engine flushed to remove any sludge.

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
i purchased it about three weeks ago, and ive already had to replace the abs module, and cv boots. it has 139k miles but runs great for the mileage. im have the oil pump checked this weekend, and im also having the engine flushed to remove any sludge.
Have you searched on sludge? If your oil pressure tests out to be low on the 1.8t, it's generally coked oil blocking the oil pickup screen. An engine flush won't get rid of the coked oil. You will need to drop the oil pan which is not an easy job on the 1.8t, manually clean the screen, and you will probably want to replace the oil pump.

·
Registered
121 Posts
This was the cause of my oil pressure warning and if you search here and Google I'm sure you will quickly deduce it to be the cause of yours too:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts