Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The directions I got from everyone on here worked out great and I was able to fish all the wires and vaccum line w/out removing the dash bottom. All I did was open the ECU box and look for the light and sent my hanger on its way. Pulled all the stuff at once to the pedals and then removed the fuse cover and fished up thru the steering column. I was able to disconnect the dimmer switch plug and pull it out the fuse side and splice in my hot lead and used a ground in the fuse bay and viola I have light, dimmable light. A couple of concerns with the pod, they surely did not give enough room for the electrical connections. I had to bend the ears of the light to make it fit and the rubber band to hold the gauge in is a little cheesey. But all and all it looks great and does not block the instrument cluster. Down side is I forgot to buy a T and I also forgot to change the bulb color. So it has power but the mech part of the gauge does not work yet. Can someone tell me the T size I need and where to tap into for the best results. Thanks

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
ECS Tuning sells a "no-buzz" T fitting which people have had great results with. If someone can snap a picture of where they spliced into teh vacuum line, it would be a HUGE help

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I have the Mk IV colimn pod and love it. My '98 only has a few warning lights in the top half of the dash so the center pod doesn't really block much (5-speed not TIP).

I also recommend the 'no-buzz' T fitting (which my Omori came with :thumbup: ).
Sorry I didn't keep any of my links on installing the gauge, but I put my T fitting (on an AEB engine) in the vacuum line that runs along the rear of the engine cover. I think it is the one from the fpr (fuel pressure regulator).

Pics please!

·
Registered
897 Posts
just installed the same pod last week i think it is the shit i can see everthing i need to :beer:

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
B5V6 said:
would a MkIV column pod fit in a B5 Audi A4?
It should fit, but New South Engineering makes a pod specifically for the A4.

On my Passat, I had to add a 2nd layer of dbl-sided tape to the front of the pod to make it stay on the steering column.

After reading this thread, and looking at a pic of the left-side-offset B5 Passat Pod, I took a good long look at my pod/car and came to the conclusion that the Passat Pod (left side one) would probably obsure my view of the MultiFunctionDisplay (clock/temp/mpg/tripometer/...) :( , so I'm VERY happy with the Mk IV Pod that I have! :D

·
Registered
716 Posts
Meap said:
I just installed the "left-offset" new south performance pod with VDO gauge last weekend. Looks great.
Pictures, please, pictures.... And maybe a how you did it write up?

Which LEDs did you go with?

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
pics

I will take pics as soon as my car comes home. My wife and kids went to visit her parents in Pitt and I am waitng for their return. When they get back I will snap some shots. I just got my LED and T from new south and will be installing it when she gets back. Later

·
Registered
716 Posts
Meap said:
I just installed the "left-offset" new south performance pod with VDO gauge last weekend. Looks great.
Meap, any pics? Really curious to see what it looks like and how the blue LED matches the dash? How much does it block and how visible is the wiring/tubing?

Thanks in advance.....

·
Registered
318 Posts
So I installed the New South Performance "Turbo Pod" last weekend and here are the final pictures. I took some pictures during the install however I do not have them with me now. I'll post them later if they turned out. I didn't get a chance to look at them yet.

The installation was relatively easy. Everyone seems to have there own "hang-ups" but the hardest part for me was trying to figure out where to run the boost line through the fire wall. All of the instructions I've found showed a way that couldn't be completed on my car. Anyway i fished it through some rubber grommet that came out the engine bay somehow. It didn't even try to figure out how and just went with it.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I sent the last post prematurely :)

So I installed the New South Performance "Turbo Pod" last weekend and here are the final pictures. I took some pictures during the install however I do not have them with me now. I'll post them later if they turned out. I didn't get a chance to look at them yet.

The installation was relatively easy. Everyone seems to have their own "hang-ups" but the hardest part for me was trying to figure out where to run the boost line through the fire wall. All of the instructions I've found showed a way that couldn't be completed on my car. Anyway i fished it through some rubber grommet that came out the engine bay somehow. It didn't even try to figure out how and just went with it.

It looks fine with me and I'm happy with it. I didn't use the "NO-BUZZ" Tee connector at first because I wanted to hear what this "buzz" that everyone was talking about. Well it buzz's :) I thought it was cool at first, but now it's getting anoying. It used to buzz only at 10psi and higher but now it buzz's earlier, around 6 psi. I'm assuming it gets worse and worse.

If anyone has any questions on the install let me know, I'll do my best to help.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Meap, thanks for the pics. Looks real darn good :thumbup:

Are the tubes/wires under the pod or what? How does the blue match the dash lights? Looks like your wheel is near center or up position, have you checked it out in any others?

If your install pics are ok, how about a write up?

Thanks

·
Registered
318 Posts
MDG said:
Meap, thanks for the pics. Looks real darn good :thumbup:

Are the tubes/wires under the pod or what? How does the blue match the dash lights? Looks like your wheel is near center or up position, have you checked it out in any others?

If your install pics are ok, how about a write up?

Thanks
The tubes/wires are between the steering column and the plastic "pod"

The light in the VDO gauge is a little more blue than the instrument panel. I think the instrument lighting may be a little more purplish. It is a close match though. I'm not complaining

1 - 16 of 16 Posts