Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Clearly, I'm no fan of the Democratic agenda but even I'm a bit dumbfounded by their moves over the past several months. Evidently, they are incapable of learning from history.

It's only been a few years since the Republicans were thrown out on their ears because they just didn't get. Now, the Democrats are well on their way to doing the same. Perhaps they are all very stupid or maybe they just don't care. Either way it's a bit amazing to watch the fall take shape.

The latest one to leave me shaking my head is this buffoon Martha Coakley. The other day, in reference to Obama's silly idea for taxing banks, she actually said, "I would support this proposal because it holds the largest Wall Street firms accountable for their abuses that caused millions of people to lose their jobs, as well as it works to recover the hard-earned taxpayer dollars of the middle class."

Is she serious? It works to recover taxpayer dollars?! Congress is the one that took this money from the taxpayers and distributed it in the first place! Where was this concern for the "hard-earned taxpayer dollars" last year?! And do you think that money is actually going to be returned to taxpayers?! Don't be silly. If Obama's proposal were to pass, it will actually cost those same taxpayers even more as the banks increase fees to recoup the loss as a result of any such tax. The proposal is actually just another example of just how little Obama understands business. And with comments like the one above from Coakley, I can see why there is such concern over losing the long standing Democratic hold on that senate seat.

I find it interesting that, unless there is a major strategic change in their agenda, the Democrats will have squandered their opportunity for exactly the same reason as the Republicans before them -- by focusing virtually all their effort on forcing a social agenda that is popular with only a small minority. From the top down, they aren't listening to the people...they aren't serving the people.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
It's arguable, but I think what is making the election to replace Ted Kennedy a nail-biter has relatively little to do with Obama or even your reading of Coakley's comments. She now suffers heavily from a campaign which has been a textbook example of how to disappear when you think you represent the party in power and start with a big lead.

While eastern Massachusetts is still the same liberal place it's been for decades, the voters are more and more sick of local one party rule breeding a remarkable amount of corruption and patronage. I imagine you would be quite wrong to believe the Republican party would be any different if afforded a similar opportunity, though.

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
Ed Schultz outlined the Dems plans in this election.....

I tell you what, if I lived in Massachusetts I'd try to vote 10 times. I don't know if they'd let me or not, but I'd try to. Yeah, that's right. I'd cheat to keep these bastards out. I would. 'Cause that's exactly what they are.
:lol:

·
Lefties have rights, too!
15,696 Posts
Since the GOP started the whole bailout procedure any way the DEMs are just behind the GOP again.:sleep:

·
is a sweetheart
3,056 Posts
Since the GOP started the whole bailout procedure any way the DEMs are just behind the GOP again.:sleep:
This may be true, but if I'm correct, the Dems were the majority in Congress a full 2 years before Bush left office. Now this is an honest question because at this point I've lost count of how many entities have been bailed out: who devised and implemented the bailouts? Was it purely the GOP or are/were some of the bailouts (such as the auto bailout) devised and implemented by the Dems?

·
Founder of the STFA
8,668 Posts
This may be true, but if I'm correct, the Dems were the majority in Congress a full 2 years before Bush left office. Now this is an honest question because at this point I've lost count of how many entities have been bailed out: who devised and implemented the bailouts? Was it purely the GOP or are/were some of the bailouts (such as the auto bailout) devised and implemented by the Dems?
The auto bailouts were different because they helped support the dying auto unions that were/are staunchly behind the dems. Also makes sense why the dems conceded the cadillac plan provisions in the health care bill for those with plans connected to collective bargaining agreements. Basically buying votes.

·
15,696 Posts
IIRC, Bush first sent the banking bailout proposal the congress.

·
for your entertainment...
7,035 Posts
It amazes me how polarized Americans are regarding Dem vs. Rep. instead of trying to get the best possible gov't representation for what seems to be in the best interest of the country.

We have similar polarity among the politically aware, but most voters here are not swayed by the colour of political stripe but who has the best platform and will best represent their interests locally and in the capital.

Just sayin'. :)

·
Founder of the STFA
8,668 Posts
Of course every politican, regardless of his/her party afficialtion, is bought and paid for by some group.:sleep:
What's your point sleepy? Are you suggesting we should just stop questioning any behavior that's typical of politicans? Connecting the dots usually isn't so easy and I haven't seen any explanation to justify the carveout within the cadillac plan penalty provision for unions. The penalty was added to generate revenue, much like a tax, and to carve out a specific group in this way is ridiculous. The whole penalty is a feeble attempt at cost shifting in the first place.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
not sure why everyone pissed at Wall St. They are paying the money back, with interest. It's AIG and the insurance companies that should be lynched.

·
is a sweetheart
3,056 Posts
IIRC, Bush first sent the banking bailout proposal the congress.
That's what I seem to remember as well. But lately there has been so much talk about different stimulus plans, bailouts, kickbacks, etc that I've pretty much lost track of the hemorrhaging.

Here is just how bad the current Congress and administration are at realizing what needs to be done. My 10 year old daughter was a HUGE fan of Obama during the elections. Then tonight she asked me why he wasn't putting all his effort into fixing the economy. I told her that he is putting a lot of effort into getting the health care bill passed as well as other issues that are taking up a large part of his time (believe it or not I am completely neutral when I speak to my kids about politics as I want them to learn to form their own opinions and judgements). Here's the best part; my 10 year old said "well, duh, the best way to get people health benefits is to create jobs for them". That's my girl. :thumbup:

·
15,696 Posts
What's your point sleepy? Are you suggesting we should just stop questioning any behavior that's typical of politicans? Connecting the dots usually isn't so easy and I haven't seen any explanation to justify the carveout within the cadillac plan penalty provision for unions. The penalty was added to generate revenue, much like a tax, and to carve out a specific group in this way is ridiculous. The whole penalty is a feeble attempt at cost shifting in the first place.
All you do is complain and whine about the same obvious things over and over again. Gee is buying a vote something new in the last 200 years??? No it's not!!!:sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep:

·
15,696 Posts
That's what I seem to remember as well. But lately there has been so much talk about different stimulus plans, bailouts, kickbacks, etc that I've pretty much lost track of the hemorrhaging.

Here is just how bad the current Congress and administration are at realizing what needs to be done. My 10 year old daughter was a HUGE fan of Obama during the elections. Then tonight she asked me why he wasn't putting all his effort into fixing the economy. I told her that he is putting a lot of effort into getting the health care bill passed as well as other issues that are taking up a large part of his time (believe it or not I am completely neutral when I speak to my kids about politics as I want them to learn to form their own opinions and judgements). Here's the best part; my 10 year old said "well, duh, the best way to get people health benefits is to create jobs for them". That's my girl. :thumbup:
While it sounds great it still doesn't help anyone already making a minimum wage. And more to the point, are you going to tell your neighbors who got laid off from Pfizer to stop whining and just get a another job? If finding a job was so easy we wouldn't have 10% unemployment. If creating jobs was so easy we wouldn't have 10% unemployment.

We now live in a global economy where it is cheaper for a Chinese company to buy scrap steel in the US, send it to China, make nails, and then send them back to the US for a profit. How do we compete with that?

·
Founder of the STFA
8,668 Posts
While it sounds great it still doesn't help anyone already making a minimum wage. And more to the point, are you going to tell your neighbors who got laid off from Pfizer to stop whining and just get a another job? If finding a job was so easy we wouldn't have 10% unemployment. If creating jobs was so easy we wouldn't have 10% unemployment.

We now live in a global economy where it is cheaper for a Chinese company to buy scrap steel in the US, send it to China, make nails, and then send them back to the US for a profit. How do we compete with that?
All you do is complain and whine about the same obvious things over and over again. Gee is unemployment something new in the last 200 years??? No it's not!!!

·
is a sweetheart
3,056 Posts

Totally agree that it's not something as simple as waving a wand and poof unemployment goes away. My point was that there seems to be sooooo much effort currently being put into passing this health care fiasco of a bill that it is detracting from any efforts which may indeed stimulate the economy. Putting the effort into getting people back to work pays back on several fronts: it gets people off of unemployment, it (generally) provides health care to these people, and it increases the tax rolls at the federal, state, and local levels. I fully support the effort to "fix" the health care system, but right now it should be the number one priority behind fixing the economy and creating jobs.

And don't get me started on the damned global trade inequality issue. It started back in the 70's when the EPA clamped down on the steel industry (I lived in Pittsburgh at the time), increased under Clinton, and then just continued to get worse under Bush. In the past 2 decades or so there doesn't seem to be any incentive to keep manufacturing and jobs in the US. Where has the leadership been during that time? Oh, I forgot, they were getting kickbacks, er I mean campaign contributions from all of the companies who profitted from such one-sided trade relations. :thumbdown

·
Founder of the STFA
8,668 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts