Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I drive about 150 miles a day on my commute between Waco and Austin everyday and I just hit the 50K mark today on the way home. :cry:

Now what?

I hope this car lasts another 100K without too much out of pocket repairs :nervous: I figure that since it is still a relatively new car the high mileage won't be as much of a toll on it as it would be driving a 5 year old car this much...I need it to last another 18 months then my wife will be out of law school and I won't have a commute...

·
Registered
802 Posts
you'll be fine as long as you keep up with the standard maintance. I have 90K on my car without any major problems... knock on wood... and I know several other board members with over 100k

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
XedoS69 said:
now what?
be ready to replece the timing belt :lol:
Timing Belt? How much will that be? I can do that at an independent shop, right?

not_too_shabby said:
now what?

move to austin
I would but I like to see my wife every night because she goes to school at Baylor in Waco. I've been trying to get my boss to let me do 4 10 hour days but it really isn't feasible because I usaully work more than 40 hours and I am not hourly...

·
Registered
58 Posts
The owners manual says to replace the timing belt on the 1.8t at 105,000 miles (off the top of my head). Does anybody here think it should be done before that?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
one question - do you have a weekly or bi-weekly standing appointment to get oil changed. 50k in 1 year, sounds like a lot of oil changes to me.

timingbelt is a good thing to be cautious on becuase if it goes so does your entire engine

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I actually just invested in a MityVac Fluid evacuator and I change oil every 6 weeks on average...

This timing belt thing is making me :nervous: ... What have you all paid to have a timing belt replaced?

·
needs more cowbell
5,946 Posts
ACK!!! TIMING BELT @ 60K!!! i better make an appointment asap. how set in stone is this? i understand the reprecusions but i just wonder, since some people say 50k some say 60k some 90k 105k...whats the dealio?

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Buy a mk2 golf or jetta, and drive that most days.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
some models in the manual is says somethin and in another something else...do it according to your warranty so you dont get screwed if something does happen...and if it happens within warranty, I bid you the best of luck to deal with VW for a engine replacement

·
needs more cowbell
5,946 Posts
AnthroSSAT said:
...do it according to your warranty so you dont get screwed if something does happen...and if it happens within warranty, I bid you the best of luck to deal with VW for a engine replacement
^^ thats what i hear. also i heard that the warranty doesn't transfer ownership, so doesn't matter for me.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
99blackmagic said:
AnthroSSAT said:
...do it according to your warranty so you dont get screwed if something does happen...and if it happens within warranty, I bid you the best of luck to deal with VW for a engine replacement
^^ thats what i hear. also i heard that the warranty doesn't transfer ownership, so doesn't matter for me.
Please please please be careful of what you say. Original owners get the 100,000 mile warranty. Family members also get this same coverage if you were to transfer the car to them. Second owners get a 50,000 mile coverage.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts