Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had this car for a few days and it is the funnest car i have ever driven. I bought it used with 45,000 miles on it. I have a few questions that i hope i can get some help with on this forum... Thanks so much

1. I have some scuff marks and dirt build up on some of the plastic parts is there a good cleaning product that can get these stains off?

2. On some of the speaker covers looks like there is some dirt build up in the speaker covers is there any easy way to get it out?

3.Since i havent hit 50,000 miles is the warrenty still good even though the car has switched owners? If not does anyone recomend an extended warrenty? I have heard that even though these cars are great they have many mechanical problems esspecialy with the 2002 model so i am a little worried about that.

4.The person i bought the car from said they had the 40,000 mile tune up done is there any way i can check to see if they have done it?

Thanks soo much for any help

·
Grinding Gears...gone fishing!
22,610 Posts
the only thing i can answer is that the 2002 is the least amount of problems with the v6.
welcome to the club and let the mods begin!

·
Registered
6,269 Posts
You may have a little bit of warranty left depending when the car was put in service as warranty is 5 yrs/50,000miles (I think its 5 yrs, maybe 4)

If you know where the 40k mile service was done you can check with them. Try some local area VW dealers if you dont know.

I dont know how to get the speaker cover off but that would be the first thing you need to do. As far as a cleaning agen for the plastic, I have used goo gone and it works. Also try one part Woolite diluted with 5 parts water, this works quite well too.

EDIT - if you're referring to the "lowers" - the lower plastic parts on the exterior. I would give them a good scrubbing next time you wash the car and follow that with 303 Aerospace treatment.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
1. For the exterior plastic parts (black trim along bottom) people use Back to Black to restore. For the interior, I use a fairly diluted Woolite solution to clean.

2. Speaker grilles do not come off.

·
Registered
284 Posts
congrats on the purchase. for the scuff marks, i've used those mr. clean magic erasers with great results. they are just abrasive enough to get the crap off without damage.

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
40,000 service is a little more involved than just a tune up, but it usually runs about 500+.
If they hit just the essentials:
spark plugs
airfilter
oil/ filter change
tire rotation
pollen filter
At 40k, VW specifies other inspections - serpentine belt, fuel system, exhaust, brakes, etc.

Check the owners manual, if you got it - there may be a dealers stamp/ signature in the 40k Service page.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Some thoughts:
1) Do you have the service records for the car? If not, you may want to run through one cycle of Auto-RX to clean out any possible deposits. Then, switch to synthetic (VW 502.00 approved) oil.
2) They changed the warranty after the 2001.5's came out. Starting with 2002, the bumper-to-bumper warranty was to 50,000 and is transferrable to the new owner, meaning you're covered for another 5,000 +/- depending on your mileage.
3) The door skins contain the speaker covers all in one piece. To get them off for cleaning, you have to take the whole door panel off. Kind of a PIA, but that's the only way to clean them thoroughly if that's what you want to do.
4) Tough to tell if the 40,000 mile service was done without proper documentation.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
the V-6 motor does not have any sludge related issues,therefore auto-rx is probably not needed and also the V-6 does not require synthetic oil as reccomended by factory/dealer,its up to you though.........good luck

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks so much for all the help from everyone!. This car has been the funnest car to drive. I called the Vw dealer that the person before me brought there car too and it looks like they did not get the full 40,000 mile tune up. So i will be having to drop some money but its worth it to me. One more question

Do i need to use premium gas? (I have been, just in case)

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Premium gas is not required for the V6 but it is recommended to get the best performance and mileage. The extra $$$ for premium is somewhat offset by better gas mileage. I have always used premium in my V6. On occasion my wife has taken the car and put regular in there and it doesn't seem much different.
It's really like a religious debate. There is no straight answer. Some people run regular, mid grade, or swap types back and forth tank to tank without problems.
The main thing to remember is get a good name brand gas and always look for gas stations that are busy. This means the fuel is fresh. Also never fill up at a station where a tanker is reloading the station... sediment can be knocked loose and end up in your tank.

·
Registered
372 Posts
the V-6 motor does not have any sludge related issues,therefore auto-rx is probably not needed and also the V-6 does not require synthetic oil as reccomended by factory/dealer,its up to you though.........good luck
If he doesn't have complete records, an Auto-RX treatment is a good idea in case the prior owner used extended oil change intervals. I know the V-6 doesn't REQUIRE synthetic oil, but all of the new ones require VW 502 approved oil. I own both a V-6 and a 1.8T. For my money, the extra $15 per oil change is good insurance. An ounce of prevention, you know?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Synthetic........premium.......and no junk filters. For cleaning the plastic, I use a product called Spray Nine. it was born in the marine industy and can be bought at Home Depot. It works some wicked good. after the cleaning use a good quality vinyl protector. I've got a B5 1.8t and a B5.5 GLX v6 and I love em both....welcome!

·
Registered
296 Posts
Premium gas is not required for the V6 but it is recommended to get the best performance and mileage. The extra $$$ for premium is somewhat offset by better gas mileage. I have always used premium in my V6. On occasion my wife has taken the car and put regular in there and it doesn't seem much different.
It's really like a religious debate. There is no straight answer. Some people run regular, mid grade, or swap types back and forth tank to tank without problems.
The main thing to remember is get a good name brand gas and always look for gas stations that are busy. This means the fuel is fresh. Also never fill up at a station where a tanker is reloading the station... sediment can be knocked loose and end up in your tank.
Yes, there is a straight answer. The V6 requires premium fuel. In fact, here is what the sticker says on the inside of my fuel door.

UNLEADED FUEL ONLY
PREMIUM MIN. (R+M)/2 91

The ECU should adjust the timing for lower octane, but by doing so you get less power and less fuel economy. The added detergents in premium fuel will also help keep the engine cleaner. A bottle of Techron every 5,000 miles can't hurt either. That should also help your car go a little faster with the additional weight reduction in your wallet.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts