Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, after a week and a couple days, my '99 is finally back on the road.
If you hadn't read the thread I posted, the timing belt blew, and took all of the valves with it, along with some damage to the head.

Well, one new head and valve kit later, she runs great. New belt, tensioner, roller, head, valves, and an assload of gaskets and bolts, and it's doing wonderful. Sounds SO much better than it did before (it's had "belt noise" for over 15,000 miles now), and feels generally more smooth. Got a coolant flush out of it, too.

Also, two thumbs up to Darlings VW of Bangor for doing recall work on my car while they had it. Got new tie-rod assemblies up front, plus a shiny black reinforced wheel well liner in the back, both free of charge and labor. Got an alignment as well, also free.

The total came to a touch over 4 grand, :nervous: though a LARGE portion of that was the cost of the head and valves, at about 3300$ for that. Also, apparently there was a core exchange with the old head and valves, which subtracted over 1100$ from the total. :thumbup:
Though I did kinda want the old valves just to have... I'd rather have the money from the core exchange knocked off the top.

I haven't had a chance to pull the covers off and take a look at the new head, but I will before much longer. But mostly, I'm just glad to have my car back. :)

And the moral of the story?
Change your tensioner. Don't just change the belt (like you didn't already know that).

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
glad to hear you are back up and running well. Wasn't this covered under your 100k powertrain warranty?

Kevin

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
vwjedi said:
glad to hear you are back up and running well. Wasn't this covered under your 100k powertrain warranty?

Kevin
Sadly, no.

I was the second owner, and I bought it wholesale. But at least it's running again.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Glad to hear your car is working well.

I'm originally from Bangor and I have to ask you if you've ever had your car serviced at Crawfords in Hampden? I was a customer there for over 10 years and I never, ever had single problem. Chip is the best. No one else I've been to even comes close, dealers included. (no I'm not being paid to say this)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts