Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

Just got dyno'ed Wett 1.8t

2K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  passaturbonium 
#1 ·
The temperature was just around 50 degrees.

2001.5 1.8t tip

Engine mods:

Wett 1.2 bar chip, Brullen 2.5 inch turbo back exhaust, K&N drop in, Audi TT DV, GIAC tip chip.

I did have my summer 18" rims on. Made 2 runs.

The good news is that the air fuel is very consistent across the entire RPM band. The bad news is my car is running really lean. I'm making great torque, 191lb ft, but my hp numbers are a bit lower than what I thought they are suppose to be.

What do guys think?

See less See more
#2 ·
I actually just read a great article on dynos and how inconsistent they can be not only from place to place but run to run. Seems that without good airflow at the front of the car - which incidently they proved was not capable of being provided by a household fan - hp #s could vary by as much as 30%. I would say that considering how much you lose from the crank to the tires your numbers aren't that bad but are probably low due to temp, wind etc.

#3 ·
Posted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 6:31 pm Post subject:

I actually just read a great article on dynos and how inconsistent they can be not only from place to place but run to run. Seems that without good airflow at the front of the car - which incidently they proved was not capable of being provided by a household fan - hp #s could vary by as much as 30%. I would say that considering how much you lose from the crank to the tires your numbers aren't that bad but are probably low due to temp, wind etc.
must be right caus that sounds mighty low to me :suspicio: :???:

#4 ·
Believe it or not, powerwise, that looks ABOUT right. Here are my thoughts.

- Those are SAE numbers. A little more "conservative" that STD numbers.
- You've got an automatic. Power Stealer.
- Expect about a 2-4 percent drop in HP/TQ from your 18"s :cry:

My questions:

Did they pull that in 3rd, or "D"? I'm not familiar with tip 1.8Ts (sorry!)
How was the airflow? Good Strong fans?
What in the hell is a Wett 1.2 bar? Do you mean the 1.1 (Stage 2) Chip?

That is the straightest A/F "curve" I've ever seen on a 1.8T. But you're right, you are running WAY lean. Still, something is up with that. The Dyno testers used a pipe sniffer to get that reading, right? Man, I just looked at it again, there is NO deviation even when your turbo is going crazy fast between 3.2 and 3.6K. That is so weird.

That makes me curious on why my wett chip dropped gas like a airplane ready to make a crash landing @ 5.2K

hmmm

#6 ·
They had a large industrial sized fan running in front of my car.

Kelly said the Wett stage II chip ran somewhere between 1.1 and 1.2 bar.

The dyno guys did use a pipe sniffer to get that reading. I thought that reading was strange too, and I asked them about it. They said that if the sniffer was working correctly. The A/F would have been way rich if for some reason the sniffer wasn't hooked up correctly.

#8 ·
Spanky McGee said:
- Expect about a 2-4 percent drop in HP/TQ from your 18"s :cry:

That really depends on the difference in rotational mass/interia between the 18" and the stock 15" wheels & Tires.

On the most 18's, expect about 10 to 15% drop, and another 15%(?) on the Titronic tax compared to 5 spd on a stock 15" wheels.

Consider your handicap, the numbers look prettry good.

#9 ·
00Psst said:
was that article by any chance in car and driver?
because theni saw it to

#10 ·
With that air/fuel mix you probably are losing a lot of timing.

I have a tip 99 AEB with a Hybrid K04m, fmic, 2.5 full exhaust and run Bosch 310s and 310 files.

Before my downpipe, running stock injectors, 5 bar fpr and 18" that weighed 50lbs rim and tire, with a constant 14:1 a/f (my a/f line nearly was identical to yours by the way!)
it did 178hp 204tq to the wheels.

"Correction on a dyno with no load is 22% on the tip. if you are running on a dyno with 10%-15% load correction is higher to get crank hp about 28-30%."

This is a quote from Juan @ Werks of Art, Garrett Lim told him these are the values that should be used.

I think you may be losing a lot mostly due to fueling and the subsequent timing being pulled back due to the lean condition. The table flat air fuel graph looks like mine did on the K04 stock fuel setup. What do you see boost peak at? Is it constant, and what do you see for vac at idle?

I am waiting for some new chips from a tuner, then I will have new dynos to post.

I run 310 files now and the car feels real good, I will be dissapointed if I dont get 200whp after all the bs :)

Do you have a VAG? I would like to see what kind of air you are flowing past the maf in g/s, and what the O2s are reading? You can also watch timing retardation but the resolution on Vag-Com is a little choppy, not many samples per second, even more pronounced when watching multiple data blocks... I use VW Tool, which is not much better if at all, but has a real nice graphic viewer for the data.

TJ

#11 ·
Ill see if I can find someone around here with a vagcom to measure how much air is going through my MAF sensor.

I'm at a loss as to what to do about this. Do you guys think its something I need to worry about? :(

I'm going to give these guys a call too to see if other people dyno'ing their cars on the same day as me had correct A/F readings.

#12 ·
PassatW86sp said:
00Psst said:
was that article by any chance in car and driver?
because theni saw it to
I can't remember but since I subscribe, its a safe bet it was.

#13 ·
I just got off the phone with Kelly, and she said she sent my dyno graph to Frank Wetterauer in Germany. Hes going to tweak the programming and is going to send me a revised chip. Now thats some customer service. :bow: :bow: :bow:

#14 ·
pacent said:
I just got off the phone with Kelly, and she said she sent my dyno graph to Frank Wetterauer in Germany. Hes going to tweak the programming and is going to send me a revised chip. Now thats some customer service. :bow: :bow: :bow:
Man, I did that same thing about 3 weeks ago. No reply yet... Let us know if something happens!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.