Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got in a "Group Buy" with a bunch of LS1 guys locally. (45 bucks for 2 pulls and a A/F ratio reading). We had a BBQ and all sorts of neat cars came out to play, I was the only dub representing although another ClubB5er (Michael) was there.

Temp was 64 degrees, I had my 18"s on, and since I was running with all RWD cars, I had to back it in on the rollers, so I didn't get the benifit of the fans.

Pull was in 4th gear

187.1 WHP 8) and 247.X ft/lbs of torque :bow:

Anyone feel like converting that to crank numbers?

Anyone else wanna be my pal and host my chart?

Oh, I got a A/F ratio too, if y'all are interested in that, and I actually have some questions about it.

My mods are in my profile!

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
wow that's huge. What octane? Do you still have your evo FMIC on?

My last dyno with my evo fmic was only 168/195, but it was 80F.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
not_too_shabby said:
wow that's huge. What octane? Do you still have your evo FMIC on?

My last dyno with my evo fmic was only 168/195, but it was 80F.
Yeah, the FMIC was on, not that it made a difference, like I said, there were NO fans on that run! :mad:

Since the Wett chip is "meant" to run on 93, thats what I had in it. Exxon 93 :) I don't think adding 100 octane to a car that isn't programed for it would be all a great idea. (money AND powerwise)

I have a little more tweaking to do, and I'll run again with some serious fans next time. Then again, by next time I hope to be putting down an easy 280whp/300tq :wink:

THANKS JULIAN!!!!

Anyone know whats up with that A/F reading? I think the probe might have blown out of the exhaust! :lol:

·
Registered
618 Posts
HAve you decided on a big turbo yet? I'm going to the dyno again next week and have big hopes for some good #'s because i am putting in a s4 maf housing :D

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
doogie_h said:
HAve you decided on a big turbo yet? I'm going to the dyno again next week and have big hopes for some good #'s because i am putting in a s4 maf housing :D
Yep, I'm in contact with the ATP guys, and I'm getting the GT28RS kit when It comes out, pending no "suprises" until then.
They SAY 2 months, but that means about 4 months.

I hope that S4 MAF works out for you. Easy swap right?

Refresh my memory, what did you get the first time you dyno'ed with the GT28R?

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
[quote="Spanky McGee" I don't think adding 100 octane to a car that isn't programed for it would be all a great idea. (money AND powerwise)

It depends on your goal. If it is to eliminate any retarding of ignition, you would definitely go higher. I am running stock, but I tracked if my ignition would pull back at 95 octane (mixed in 100 octane to my tank) and it did.

If your goal is to see real world, 93 was great. If your goal was to see max output, or what you might get at a track day, you could run the 100 octane. If you are pushing it, you will make use of it.

Thanks for sharing your stats! Do you like the chip in daily driving?

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
My airfuel drops like a rock with GIAC at around 5000 RPM. Supposedly they run it rich at higher RPM's to lower the exhaust gas temps.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
How is it that a APR or GIAC 1.1 bar chip can add 10-15 WHP from a Wett 1.1 bar? You'd think a 1.1 is a 1.1 is a 1.1? At this point I KNOW i'm maxing out the K03sport, but yet many GTI and jetta guys are getting slightly higher peak HP numbers with the same mods as me...

Is it the chip, or the better flowing transverse engine set-up? :poke:

·
Registered
446 Posts
i know what you mean...a buddy of mine got dyno'd about a month ago with his 02 Jetta, CAI/2.5'' turbo-back/dv/apr dpp(on 93)/J valve/newsouth powergasket/greddy FMIC....and he was seeing close to and over 200....i could only hope for 180 :roll:

Spanky McGee said:
How is it that a APR or GIAC 1.1 bar chip can add 10-15 WHP from a Wett 1.1 bar? You'd think a 1.1 is a 1.1 is a 1.1? At this point I KNOW i'm maxing out the K03sport, but yet many GTI and jetta guys are getting slightly higher peak HP numbers with the same mods as me...

·
Founder of the STFA
8,667 Posts
Part of it can be the transverse intake/exhaust layout, but part of it is also due to more aggressive timing. The old saying, "Timing is everything", can definitely be applied to engine tuning. That's why I'm a big fan of the NSP powergasket. Low cost mod that can find the power that you'd otherwise miss under less than ideal real world conditions. Lower IAT give you more aggressive timing/fuel maps, all with the same boost level.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Spanky McGee said:

The big factor is the longitudinal engine / FWD setup. Some incorrectly think the transverse engine makes more power at the wheels because it "has better flow" ... Thats not correct. The Longitudinal setup has more driveline loss because of an additional 90degree turn in the power-flow before turning the front driveshafts.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
hahah, yeah, thats what I meant, not intake/engine/exhaust flow,
but drivetrain loss due to the orintation of the engine in proximity to the driveshaft. (the fung-shuei flow) :thumbup:

·
Registered
618 Posts
I haven't dynoed yet but ill have to wheni put in the bigger housing. No way to tune it with a Vag. The housing is not a direct fit from what im told on the votex but with a dremel you can do anything. I can take pics for you if you are planning on doing the same.

I am looking forward to seeing your dyno readings after you get the gt28rs.
Are you using the adapters or a maifold?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts