Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys.... This is my first post and I am looking for some help. Let me first say that I just got a B5 W8 Wagon and I love it! I think I got a great deal too, ($12,000 for a one owner car with no stories and 54K miles).
I need some help. The car needs new front rotars and I was quoted $500.00 installed. This seems high... Are there other sources for this part?
Next, I want to add new wheels, how large can I go and do I need to make any mods to fit 18"s?
I am looking for a rear spoiler... Where should I turn?
I would also like to lower it SLIGHTLY... Reccomendations?

Any help would be excellent!
Thanks
Luke

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
First of all, welcome fellow W8er!
Your front rotors are 321mm (sometimes listed 322mm) - they use the HP-2 Lucas caliper. These parts are shared with the Audi S4.
Votex (VW) offered a rear spoiler for the wagon - they may still carry it.
There are doubtless other after market sources.
Suspension is limited to H&R springs with Bilstein shocks/struts.
With any wheel, clearance of the front rotors is an issue. 18"+ shouldn't be a
problem.

PM Tom Parish for inclussion in the W8 Registry he has set up

Stewart

·
Registered
6,143 Posts
Here's mine on H&R Sports and 235/40R18 Dunlops and BBS RE's..

Compared to stock 17's and springs...

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
Those Madras were only available on the "sport" package for the W8...I know this because I'm rocking the Atlantas... :(

Another W8er...congrats!! Welcome! :)

·
Banned
8,975 Posts
Damn dude. Between the purchase price and the repair costs on my 1.8t, I coulda bought that W8 out from under your punk ass.

Of course, I would've been walking to work for the past year, so...:whistle:

·
Registered
479 Posts
355, welcome aboard!
Try stopshopanddrive.com or getcoolparts.com for rotors. Free shipping on orders over $50. Good for those heavy rotors!!
Should be under $200 for the rotors...then DIY!

Rear spoiler...check the marketplace here at PW.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Hey guys.... This is my first post and I am looking for some help. Let me first say that I just got a B5 W8 Wagon and I love it! I think I got a great deal too, ($12,000 for a one owner car with no stories and 54K miles).
I need some help. The car needs new front rotars and I was quoted $500.00 installed. This seems high... Are there other sources for this part?
Next, I want to add new wheels, how large can I go and do I need to make any mods to fit 18"s?
I am looking for a rear spoiler... Where should I turn?
I would also like to lower it SLIGHTLY... Reccomendations?

Any help would be excellent!
Thanks
Luke
The neatest "mod" for a W-8 would be an extended warranty. Do a search on this site, it has been discussed a number of times.

There is a reason that they sell for $12,000.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The neatest "mod" for a W-8 would be an extended warranty. Do a search on this site, it has been discussed a number of times.

There is a reason that they sell for $12,000.
Why? Beacuse of the 100k service? Thanks for your input...

To everyone else, thanks and I look forward to getting some pictures up soon!

·
Registered
973 Posts
Congratulations on the W8! I hope you enjoy it like the majority of the W8 owners here on PW.

I recommend an extended warranty for piece of mind because IF something should happen, repairs on a W8, like an Audi A6, RS6, S4, W12 A8 or Phaeton, or any German car for that matter can be pricey. Do a search on extended warranties for a wealth of info.

As far as the 100k mile service, I believe it's an oil change and tire rotation. You have a timing chain, which VW does not give any maintenance recommendation on. From what I have gathered, it should be replaced at 125-150k miles for piece of mind. But it is not a must.

And one last bit of info...don't listen to the non-W8 owners regarding W8 specifics for god's sake. They'll have you believing you have cam adjuster, timing chain, and tranny issues all in one thread. Remember the adage, misery loves company. Talk or IM the W8 massive. We are the only ones who truly know the car and the costs.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Hello 355dreamer,

You did get a great deal on that car. I can't believe that you only paid 12k, more power to you.
I have a 2004 W8 Sedan with 31k miles.
If you need help, you joined the right forum!

For parts, I go to www.1stvwparts.com
It is a VW Dealer out of Washington State.

Kind regards,

FS

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
Come spring my Atlanta's are relegated to winter duty.
Planning on BBS VZ's (18") with nice W-rated rubber (maybe NT-555's).
I hear ya...spring can't come soon enough!

If I don't scope a hell of a deal in the PW classifieds, I'm probably going to upgrade to the 17" Madras ( I'll need new tires in the spring anyway, so why not get new rims to go along with them? ;) ). I think I would like to keep the "sleeper" look by staying mostly stock. But the lowering springs/shocks are #1 on the priority list next to tint. :D

I'm thinking my W8 will look dope (it already does look good stock, but you catch my drift)...black with the darkest tint possible lowered with those sexy Madras (along with spacers to poke the wheels out more and some "meatier" tires)? mmmm... :thumbup: I'm even thinking a new grille, but I like the VW emblem on the stock W8 grille, plus it seems like everyone and their mom has an aftermarket grille on their Passat. I want to be original! :thumbup:

·
Registered
169 Posts
I sent you a PM about some springs. I have a brand new set of H&R Springs for the W8 Variant and Sedan. Let me know if you are interested.

Cheers,

Chuck

1 - 20 of 28 Posts