Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got done cleaning the throttle body, she looks very clean and shiny on the inside. put everything back together nicely, and went to start it, and it rumbled alot after I started it...like almost a V8 or sumthin, and then calmed back down after a while, but the rpm needle is still goin up and down around 800-850, but it's moving a lot. I noticed when I started her up again, she started alot smoother, but the idle rumble is still there where it jiggles my car a bit, and the rpm needle is still fluxuating....please help is that normal...what should I do? What should I check? Did I not tighten it down good enough? Did I tighten too much? HELP PLEASE!!!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Definetly

I double checked that everything was put back right, and I retraced my steps as far as making sure everything was connected! And I dont understand what that VAG thingy is...? But I defintly took my time with it making very sure I was doing everything correctly! I've been workin on it all mornin! That terrible rumble is gone now when I start it up, but it idles with a little bit smaller rumble now..with the rpm needle still movin a lil below 1000 rpm's...*Sigh Im freakin out!

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
It may settle by itself as the ECU adapts to the new parameters, however it would be better if you get somebody with VAG to do throttle body adaptation.

Normal RpMs are at 850 not at 1000.

·
Registered
352 Posts
i think there is a thread round here somewhere, about how to reset your throthle body. if i remember corectly:

-unplug the throtle body(the electrocal plug)

-wait (i guess 5 minutes would do)

plug the electrical plug back into the throtle body

-insert the key and move it to the ON position, but dont start it!!! and make sure the driver side door is open( that i do remember :crazy: )

let it sit for 2-3 minutes(i think you might hear some noises, its the throthle realighning itsself)

then you can either start it up, or take the key out wait a minute, then re-insert it and turn on the car(what i would do)

good luck let us know what happens..............

ALfredo

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you I will try that

I've printed out your directions and I will try that as soon as I post this. I will get back to you. Also, another thing to think about, my "Check Engine" light has come on as well, so maybe that has to do with this whole resetting thing Im going to try. Thanks again for you help and I will holler back at you hopefully with good news!
David

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
do what Alfredo said above ^^ put the key in and turn to accessories position. Don't worry about the driver side door, accessory position is where your car will beep at you for not wearing the seat belt. wait 3-5 minutes and then start the car, your RPMs should settle down.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Still having probs here...Darn...

I did all of that, I dont believe the gasket's cracked, I looked at it and cleaned it even, and I torque'd the bolts down to the right psi and hooked everything up correctly Im posative of that, but my main concern now is that the "Check Engine" light isn't going off, so Im desperatly tryin to guess and check what it could be. I tried that whole resetting thing, and I've even unhooked the battery to maybe reset the ECU or sumthin, but it's still there...Im getting really freaked out here, if I can't get it to go away I can't use my car...that means no work! No money! ARRGGHHH!!!

·
Registered
352 Posts
nenad, you dont absolutly need a VAG-com to re-alighn the throtle body. many peeps here have done and confirmed it worked.

passatobssesor, you could look up, the VAG locator, there is people that are willing to help in your area that can reset you throtle body as well as read the CEL code with their vag. you might want to bring along a sixpack or something too :wink:

i'll see if i can find the link, if not im sure someone will post it up........

ALfredo

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Alfredo said:
nenad, you dont absolutly need a VAG-com to re-alighn the throtle body. many peeps here have done and confirmed it worked.

passatobssesor, you could look up, the VAG locator, there is people that are willing to help in your area that can reset you throtle body as well as read the CEL code with their vag. you might want to bring along a sixpack or something too :wink:

i'll see if i can find the link, if not im sure someone will post it up........

ALfredo
There is simple way, ask your maister or Sharky is it possible to do it with open door.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
THanks to everyone!

I will see if I can located someone with that VAG COM thing, but I did not put a new gasket in, the other one LOOKED fine, but then again you never know. Would that be the prob with my idle and the engine light not going off? IF so where could I get a new gasket quickly?
David

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Update

Okay, so my passat is just sittin in my driveway...:(...and Im actually waiting on people with that VAG-COM thing to email me back so we could get together and analyize the problem...man Im freakin out..I wish that light would just go off and somehow everything would register......*sigh...Thanks again for everyone's help and input, I really really appreciate it.
David

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.