Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I live in the DC area, just bought an 03 W8. It is a great vehicle, replaced my Mini Cooper S with it since needed the room for baby. I've previously had a 1.8t passat and loved it as well as a Jetta TDI...John

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Congratulations John!
The W8 is in a class by itself.
Let us know all about it - color, options, etc.
Mine is a 2003 sedan, Blue Spirit, Black interior, Tiptronic.
PM Tom Parish to get on the registry he is building.
You have a wealth of knowledge on this sight, but pay more attention to the people that own (or have owned) W8s themselves.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks

Thanks all. The W8 is black on Black, Triptronic, 40k miles. I got a good deal on it, just couldn't pass it up. I am placing 18''s on it, just have some front calpier clearance issues...John

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Yes, those HP-2 calipers are massive compared to the fronts on other Passats.
Come spring I'm planning to go to 18" BBS VZ's - they were optional on W8's, and have no clearance issues.
Right now I have the stock 16" w/ Turanza 215 A/S radials.
Black on black is a nice color combo.

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
Hi All,

I live in the DC area, just bought an 03 W8. It is a great vehicle, replaced my Mini Cooper S with it since needed the room for baby. I've previously had a 1.8t passat and loved it as well as a Jetta TDI...John
Welcome to the W8 Massive! Here's some W8 Knowledge with some tidbits specific to the DC Metro Area. First off, seriously consider buying an Extended Warranty! The W8 is an awesome car but the repairs are considerably more expensive than other versions of the Passat. There's two Extended coverages I have to highly recommend: Universal Underwriters (visit MartensVW) and Security National Warranty Company (1-800-811-5771).

Now if you need to visit a local dealership for major services, the best in the area is MartensVW in Chevy Chase, Md. (right off River Road) Since they have sold the most W8's and Phaetons in the area, their technicians know the engine and it's issues very well. Now for routine services like oilchanges and brakes, I highly recommend two shops: Wheaton Service Center and Induktion Motorsports I've used Induktion Motorsports for all my scheduled maintenance and high performance tuning for my W8. Their prices are very fair and less expensive than the dealership, and they do excellent work. DC Metro Area VW Dealerships highly markup the price of consumerable parts like pads, rotors, and engine oil/filters. When it's time for service, consider using an online parts vendor like GetCoolParts.com or StopShopandDrive.com. There's also World Impex in Cockeysville, Md. which I use for brake rotors and engine oil/filters.

Good luck, and if you have any questions please feel free to give a shout!

Peace and blessings,

Will aka The Swami

·
Registered
6,143 Posts
18 inch BBS RE's on mine and they clear fine.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks All, Especially the great DC area info Swami! I am looking into the extended warranty now. I still have to check to see if it has any factory warranty left on it. I bought some ASA A1a (?) from a fellow lister, awaiting my 5mm spacers to come in to clear the calipers...

·
Registered
94 Posts
Thanks All, Especially the great DC area info Swami! I am looking into the extended warranty now. I still have to check to see if it has any factory warranty left on it. I bought some ASA A1a (?) from a fellow lister, awaiting my 5mm spacers to come in to clear the calipers...
If less than 60,000 miles you should still have some powertrain warranty left if it can be transferred by VW. To the Swami's point, an extended warranty for the W-8 is absolutely mandatory. There have been too many expensive repair stories for the W-8 on this forum and the VWVortex recently.

Good luck with your new car.:thumbup:

·
Registered
464 Posts
I'm ni Maryland as well. I just bought an 03 W8, black on black variant, sport package, 14,130 miles. Beautiful car. I sprung for the 2 year CPO from the dealer just to give myself time to find a good comprehensive 3rd party warranty. My original factory ends in 3/07, so I'm definitely gonna get one, even with the CPO. They only hit me for $400 bucks for it.

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
Welcome to the W8 Massive! Here's some W8 Knowledge with some tidbits specific to the DC Metro Area. First off, seriously consider buying an Extended Warranty! The W8 is an awesome car but the repairs are considerably more expensive than other versions of the Passat. There's two Extended coverages I have to highly recommend: Universal Underwriters (visit MartensVW) and Security National Warranty Company (1-800-811-5771).

Now if you need to visit a local dealership for major services, the best in the area is MartensVW in Chevy Chase, Md. (right off River Road) Since they have sold the most W8's and Phaetons in the area, their technicians know the engine and it's issues very well. Now for routine services like oilchanges and brakes, I highly recommend two shops: Wheaton Service Center and Induktion Motorsports I've used Induktion Motorsports for all my scheduled maintenance and high performance tuning for my W8. Their prices are very fair and less expensive than the dealership, and they do excellent work. DC Metro Area VW Dealerships highly markup the price of consumerable parts like pads, rotors, and engine oil/filters. When it's time for service, consider using an online parts vendor like GetCoolParts.com or StopShopandDrive.com. There's also World Impex in Cockeysville, Md. which I use for brake rotors and engine oil/filters.
Will,

Has anyone told you lately that you freakin ROCK?!? I've never seen a guy more knowledgeable and helpful, my God!! :thumbup:

-------------------------------------------

John,

Welcome to the club! Yet another W8er!! May I suggest you give your W8's info to Tom Parish's W8 registry, http://mysite.verizon.net/vzerziy1/index.html, and also get yourself signed up on the new W8 forum, http://www.spinner.dk/w8/. Welcome to the growing family of W8 owners; you'll love your new ride more and more every day, I know I do!

:thumbup:

Jeremy

1 - 16 of 16 Posts