Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Changed from being a nissan owner, my wife had a 02 altima and I drove a 02 Xterra (POS), but went to the dealer to change my Xterra for a 04 1.8T and after a couple of hours they had made me a deal I couldn't resist on the trade-in's and on a leftover 03 W8 that I ended up buying both. Of couse the wife will drive the 1.8t. All in all it was a great deal, and we are now proud owners of the passats :D :D :D

I know this question has been asked a ton of times, but what are your impressions of the W8

Thanks

Alex
2004 Passat GLS 1.8t Blue Anthracit
2003 Passat W8 Silverstone Grey

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
my impression of the w8 is your wife will be driving it, and you'll be taking/mod'ing the 1.8T. If you look at the performance numbers of the W8, they're the same as the v6. 0-60 time and quarter mile. The chip tuned 1.8T is quicker than the v6, so with a chipped 1.8T, I'd put the money on your wifes car. Are they tiptronic or manual? It's rare to find a w8 manual, so I'm assuming yours is tip.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Congratulations! :thumbup: Who said you can’t hit the Lottery back to back… :thumbup:

Although I don’t own a W8… I have very extensive experience with it. Contrary to all the negativity of the motor, it’s a great machine that should provide you with many :D :) :D :) trouble free miles.

Just remember one thing… :poke: These are not NISSANS!

Exercise some patients and allow the motors to warm up before taking off… obviously when their cold.
Change the factory oil at 1500 miles and again at 3000 miles. Then change it every 3k and use synthetic. ON BOTH MOTORS! The majority out there think Im crazy :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: , for doing this, but then again Im not the one with SLUDGING issues :wink: !

·
needs more cowbell
5,946 Posts
Welcome to the club!! quite a score at one time. congrats.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Yes, I'm in the same boat...didn't buy them both at the same time, but I have a 1.8T and a W8 as well. True, you can dump some money into mods and make the 1.8T faster, but there is something about that W8 that is just wonderful the way it is. May not run the quarter mile as fast, but how many times are you taking the Passats to the drag strip?

One thing I recommend, since you probably have the euro blade wipers....look in the Information forum about "Replacing the Euro Blade wipers". With 2 Passats, that'll save you some money down the road.

Congrats on your purchase and welcome....

·
Registered
299 Posts
Elias said:
Change the factory oil at 1500 miles and again at 3000 miles. Then change it every 3k and use synthetic. ON BOTH MOTORS! The majority out there think Im crazy :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: , for doing this, but then again Im not the one with SLUDGING issues :wink: !
Yup. I think you're crazy. :D

I recommend leaving the factory oil in for the full 5,000 miles. This will allow the rings/pistons to become very intimate with each other, and in my opinion, will prevent oil from being consumed. I'm not a mechanic, but sometimes common sense should be considered.

Changing to sythetic is a good idea. I did at 15k and change it faithfully every 5,000 miles (Valvoline SynPower 5w-40 :thumbup:).

-Craig

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for your comments, and B5V6 I think I will drive the W8 for a while since I dont have any money left to mod the 1.8 and the W8 has the sports package I'll keep it for a while.

On the oil change the manual says to change the oil every 10K miles, is this correct?

·
Registered
299 Posts
rcassidy said:
I forget is the SynPower full sythetic?
Yes, it's a full synthetic. Durablend is Valvoline's part dino, part synthetic.

-Craig

1 - 14 of 14 Posts