Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!..

was driving home a couple of hours ago ..not too fast!! and went through some uneven ground in the city (not too uneven !!!) but enough to let the suspensions (shock obsorbers) compress all the way and let the car bang the ground in the front..

I now hear some slight noises from the front wheels... though I always had the feeling that my suspensions where nearing its end life (cars done 67k).... not too sure.. any advise on what this may be? the car does not seem very even when I drive (not just now..but ussually)... but am surprised how it can hit the ground like that!!!!!!!! i only had one passanger with me....can this happen?

if i need to change the suspensions (springs??) do I need to do it on all four tires?? how much will it cost??? :(

thanks!!!
Abe

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
I would get the dampners too... at first I just got the Eibach Pro-kit (springs only) and about 5 months down the line the shocks went bad :thumbdow: . Best way to do it is the Eibach Pro System (springs and dampners).

Best place to get it is www.shox.com
As far as I know we geta 20% discount :wink:

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
shox.com offers a discount - I'm not sure how they compute it but it is close to 20%.

I would definitely get the Eibach, I love it. Even though the car is lowered, I have never bottomed in the places that I did with the stock setup.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
belly pan is ripped yes... but its only a hand-size whole in the front end center. I managed to tie it up... not perfect, but seems to hold okay.

i cant belive that the suspensions could compress that much :( i was only going 40mph!

My car seems to be unstable somewhat.. like dancing on the suspensions .... is that an indication of worn bushes??

when do you all change your suspensions ?? (under normal conditions). Am at 67k on the millage at the moment.

·
Registered
716 Posts
I'd bet your problem is shocks more than anything and you may have one broken. (shocks = dampers). As quoted above, shocks/dampers can be important to prevent bottoming. I'd have someone look at it who can tell, but good chance you can replace shocks only, unless you want to upgrade to more performance than stock. If so, then do both springs and dampers. Your 67K should not have bad springs unless it was abused.

Question: did you actually bottom, or hit something raised, or maybe run a wheel into a pot hole? They could all produce different problems.....

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
You usually don't replaced springs. My guess is that your shocks have reached the end of their life. They get less and less stiff as you put miles on them, and eventually they don't really work at all. You need shocks to control the car in turns, and prevent it from bobbing up and down on every bump. Check out the GB section, get some koni's and dial them all the way soft, that should fix your floaty ride :p.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
YetAnother20V said:
Check your belly pan for breakage too. Ripped mine on a rock in a 'rock fall zone' near crater lake. I thought I could go over it :crazy:
ive had mine rip off :nervous:

but yesterday i was driving in a parking lot, and there was a cup on the floor (plastic one) and i drove over it and it got stuck! lol the thing was no more then 3.5" damn shit got stuck... had to back up, and move to the side.. :crazy:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks chaps..

do you know what... I think i must have went through a pot hole...but then.. even if i did.... generally.. if there is a slop followed by an up hill..and am appraching at a speed, esspecailly when i have passengers... the car bottoms out!! its scary..coz when it hits it hits the oil tank i think ... or something underneath!!

I love a soft ride coz of the comfort..but what am getting from the car is sort of a floating feeling... swaing left/right a bit on the suspensions.

am hoping its not a control arm or tie knots thing... i hear they are very expensive to repair :(

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
just had it checked.... it turned out to be a loose nut!!!!!!!

phew... luky i didint drive the car a lot.... could have been looser and more dangerous...

it seems okay now... :)

never realised how much one single loose nut (out of 5) can affect the car like that!!

thanks guys!!!!
Abe

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.