Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me just say THANK YOU in advance for any and all help/input.

Story -- Sunday afternoon, I finished the valve cover gasket placement. (There should not be oil on your spark plug wires.) So I stopped the oil leakage from there. The camshaft seals did not appear to be leaking. (Fingers crossed.) So I let the car warm up and yup still that lovely smell of oil on the exhaust. Everything appears good from up top. Looking underneath, the passenger side is clean. Driver side ... not so much. Its dirty & grimy around & above the oil filter/oil cooler. It appears to be to be on the upper engine side oil the oil cooler.

Question 1 -- Is there just a gasket/seal for this cooler or do I have to replace the whole oil cooler?
Question 2 -- Is there somewhere else I should look or something else I should replace while I "do the oil cooler" job?

Vehicle info:
2003 B5.5
2.8L V6
GLX Wagon

·
Registered
558 Posts
There is an o-ring gasket between the cooler and the flange. Over time it gets hard and fails to seal properly, especially when it gets cold out. You can just buy the seal, clean around the cooler and flange and replace it. The cooler is held on by a large nut around the filter flange (what the oil filter screws onto).

Also, you may want to check that the valve cover gasket is not leaking from up top as well.

·
Registered
313 Posts
You probably also want to clean your PCV system; it plugs and the back pressure is usually what causes the valve cover seals to leak.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
If nothing on the PCV system has been replaced I would plan on replacing it since you just did the VC's. Cleaning it is a temporary fix and will blow your VC gaskets because all the plastic parts are clogged and brittle by now. You're a Northern salt ladened Winter mess..Consider buying the whole thing EXCEPT that little rubber elbow that costs 100 bucks :icon_eek:

While you're in there digging around you'll notice all the little plastic vacumme hoses are breaking so plan on replacing all those while your at it.

·
Registered
8,940 Posts
It's a pity that so many on this forum attempt to give advice without reading what has been posted.
If you are not getting oil in the coolant, a new seal is all you should need.
Note that on your engine the seal probably isn't an "O" Ring.

You should also service the PCV system if it hasn't been done in last few years.

·
Registered
26,788 Posts
Did you also replace the CCT seals? The driver's side can leak down on top of the oil cooler. It should be easy to trace down the side of the motor with a flashlight and mirror.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you all for your replies.

I have ordered the parts for the oil cooler. (I'd rather have an unneeded part and return it, vs not having it on hand.)

Will update after the part(s) have been installed.

·
Registered
877 Posts
If the oil cooler O-ring doesn't fix the leak, check the oil pressure switch located at the rear of the oil filter bracket facing the firewall. Mine was leaking and I didn't realize it until after I'd replaced the oil cooler O-ring and also the oil cooler itself. The oil was leaking through the switch insulator and flowing along the bracket and dripping from the low point on the oil cooler, hence the thought that it was the oil cooler gasket or a leaking oil cooler. There's a boot that covers the wire on the oil pressure switch. If the switch is the source of the leak the boot will be covered in oil. A new switch is less than $5 from ECS Tuning and includes a new sealing washer.

I just realized you have the V6. I don't know if this info applies to the V6 as I have the 1.8T.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts