Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so today in good ole MI, it's a balmy ten degrees, and although it's been running perfectly fine for the last month, Jen's 00' 1.8t doesn't f-ing start, plugs are fouled, and codes just call out the usual p0300 multiple random misfire, her car is going on autotrader as soon as I get it fixed because I am sick of missing work to fix this pile, she's going back to a pontiac now.

and so I get in the car and hop over to the dentist since I'd rather not pay to miss the appointment, and my CEL comes on AGAIN. PO441 incorrect flow, and P1137 too lean, everytime I clear it and change something, I get a different code, this thing is just pissing me off, I'm thinking of going back to a Jetta. I gotta say these two cars have been the most unreliable I have ever had, my 1984 Scirocco with 150k on it was more reliable then either of our B5's with less then 50k! if anyone has any hints for me on my PO441 code I'd appreciate it, I already changed most of the vaccuum lines, and the bentley just says to check for a leak which I'm not finding. sigh. oh wellhad to vent before I went to work.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
thing is, these newer cars aren't anything like the older cars.

all my older generation dubs outlasted and outperformed (reliability anyway) the newer generation ones i've had to deal with.

did you know that VW is rated 34th in reliability?

you know who's rated UNDER them? the koreans and Land Rover.

:crazy:

·
Lisa Simpson
15,043 Posts
I have a spare MAFS you can borrow. Want me to send it over to see if it cures the problem? Mine was pulling the same crap a while back, and after a good cleaning, it was fine. I ordered a new one anyway. I am putting my six of Oberon on the MAFS.

You have to know than the fouled plugs are a thing with turbocharged engines. It took me a while to figure it out, but in a NA motor, at least half of the cylinders are open to the atmosphere at any given time through either the intake or exhaust tracts. In a supercharged motor, the intake is blocked to flow by the charger, and in a turbocharged car, both the intake and exhaust tract are blocked by the charger. If the cylinder is not open to the atmosphere, the fuel can't evaporate out of the cylinder and you flood. Even in a NA car, the fuel doesn't go far, but it does get mostly out of the combustion chamber and that is enough.

TDI, my MI friend, TDI. Steven's never goes more than 2 miles at a time for weeks on end, and sits in the bitter cold out on the mall parking deck for 6 hours at a pop. I think the temp gauge hasn't moved in three weeks at this point. Starts up every time. Don't forget the Stanadyne! :)

·
Registered
8,200 Posts
Jblough389, sorry to hear of your problems. I agree, especially where your wife is concerned. If she isn't a driving enthusiast, and just wants reliable transportation, she should have it.

Quite a few years ago, when the Japanese were picking up lots of automotive market share, one of the chief criticisms of the German Automakers was their resistance to change. Regardless of how true this was, the common wisdom claimed that, in Germany, technology took years to go from the drawing board to production. In contrast, it was claimed that the Japanese could go from an idea to a design to production in a matter of weeks or months. Hence, the argument went that the stodgy conservative Germans couldn't compete.

In the five years that I've owned my B5, VW and Audi have introduced LOTS of new technology. It seems like Audi comes out with a new transmission design every couple months [/exagerate]. We won't even mention BMW's iDrive debacle. Some of the problems that these new technologies have caused are unsolvable, even by factory trained techs, much less backyard wrenchers. It occurs to me that the Germans have been trying unsuccessfully to beat the Japanese at their own game.

Another issue that is recurrant is the fact that both VW and Audi use cheap parts. The technology and design might be sound, but then they end up putting sub-standard parts in assemblies that require enormous amounts of labor to service. Again, I hear this from Audi owners just as much as I hear it from VW owners.

Its a shame, really, because the overall quality of the design is fine, as best I can tell. They just seem to be having some problems with execution.

Just to show another side of the coin, my B5 fired right up this morning in 19 below zero weather.

Regards,

Kenny

·
Registered
472 Posts
Mine started up here (-10), with little issue. Hit the headllights, oh yeah, the climate control lights are out. Damnit. Ok, get moving. *snap* *snap* *snap* go the front door panels (I get that it's -10, and stuff gets noisy, but this happens in +40 weather too). Hit the brakes *pulse* *pulse* *pulse*. Been pulsing since about 15k mi. Don't have the time to take it in right now (been working late 12 of the last 14 days). Get to the gas station, shut her down, fill up, start up, SCREACH SCREACH SCREACH (repeat ad nauseaum) - Blower motor squealing. This is new. Funny thing is that the car's been running (mostly +65 MPH ) for about an hour now. Get to my destination, shut car off. Start car, flashing CEL. Oil smell (been smelling for a couple of weeks now).

It's an 03 with < 26k mi on the odo. This is unacceptable. I LOVE the car's styling and handling, but this is stupid. I was going to replace the wife's Mustang conv't with a Bug conv't , but not now. VW, I hope you're listening to this board. Design and engineering is good, your suppliers and dealer network SUCK. :thumbdow:

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Jake, sorry to hear about your issues. That definitely sucks! :thumbdow: But I agree your significant other deserves reliable transportation.

VW, I hope you're listening to this board
Do we know if there are any trolls from VWOA on here?

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
TwoLitreVW said:
you know who's rated UNDER them? the koreans and Land Rover.
:crazy:
just for the sake of clarification the "koreans" makes it sound as though you are saying all of their car companies....as i recall Hyundai was high up on that list...I believe #2

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Z28Driver said:
[....as i recall Hyundai was high up on that list...I believe #2
Is this true? I always put Hyundai, Kia and Daewoo in the same boat when it comes to quality of product. Not that I'm eager to drive a Hyundai but it is nice to hear that a car company can have products with good quality, a great warranty and still be inexpensive! VW (and many other companies) hasn't been able to do any of these things.

Can someone post the link to this list?

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
My low oil light came on this morning coldest night of the year so far we have been lucky only -10F. Checked my oil after it was warm and everything OK must have just pumped it all to the top and it wasn't draining well, getting it changed tomorrow and going to put in 5W30. :crazy:

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
This crap is exactly why I keep my wife in her 1999 Honda Accord EX, 78000 miles and NO problems, only maintenance like oil changes, air filters, and tire rotations. My b5 had a leaky egr valve when I first got it, but it got fixed. Changing the oil takes much longer than my wifes accord. Soon as the b5 is paid off, its gone.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The big deal with the pontiac is that her dad works for GM in the caddy plant in lansing and is a GM god, she had a 96 Grand prick that with 170k miles was more reliable then her B5, so coming from that to a much "Nicer" VW and having this many problems is horrible. My B5 is my 11th VW I think, and I worked for a VW shop for 15 years, so when it comes to this stuff, I'm not exactly a backyard wrencher, when I bought my VAG-com, I never thought I'd have to use it this much. I bought a 1987 Scirocco 16v as a SPARE CAR because I know that one won't have any trouble HA! I love the B% and how it handles, how quiet it is, and the interior I adore, but man did someone do a number on the EVAP and igntion system! if there is a VWOA Troll here, VW will never lose me as a customer, but I'll never own a 1.8t again.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
I wouldn't get a golf/jetta, those are the cars that drag VW down to #34.

Hyundai has very good reliability, their defect level is currently at a level equivalent to a late 80's/early 90's honda product from what I've read. Kia on the other hand, sucks. :puke:

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Are you a glutton for punishment?! Pontiac?! You can't be serious!
:crazy: The 3800 motor has been around for nearly 20 years in some form or another. While they may be less aesthetically pleasing they are less likely to leave you stranded then a VW. I have owned 3 Pontiacs in my life and 1 Buick. Never did one leave me stranded. With the exception of the Fiero, they were less enjoyable to drive by they serve the role of an appliance very well.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
you'd never catch me dead in a KIA or Hyundai, or even a Honda, I can't stand any of the asian cars, and I can't stand american cars, I actually get physically ill riding in any of those cars because they just don't have the German feel. I'm thinking of either going with a V6 B5.5 or a Jetta GLi, but that's a few years down the road if I can get my current issue straightened out, as for the female, I think that's going to be a total loss.

·
Registered
58 Posts
It seems that Bosch electronics have become the Lucas of today. :crazy: IIve had enough issues with codes and my ecu to surpass anything in the old Triumphs i used to own. My son's Golf 1.8T GTI has been even worse with coil packs, MAFs, senders and the like.

It's stuff like this and your problems Jblough389 that make me miss my last 2 Jetta diesels.

·
Registered
472 Posts
With the exception of the Fiero, they were less enjoyable to drive by they serve the role of an appliance very well.
My 88 Fiero Formula with 111,000 mi on the odo has never left me stranded, and is a blast to drive too. I don't understand how it can have fewer problems than my B5.5. I've only had to replace a couple of sensors, a battery cable and a motor mount. The rest has been regular maintenance stuff (brakes, etc). I consider the new exhaust at 110,000 maintenance. :lol:

It's a real love/hate relationship with the Passat. I'm keeping it for the length of the warranty, but likely not beyond that. Biggest fear at this point is that something'll go wrong and the dealer won't warranty it b/c I do my own oil changes and service. I've kept the receipts, and plan to do the major mileage services (50k, etc), but there's always that fear.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Funny thing for me is the only reason I bought my B5.5 is the motor/turbo. I have owned 12 turbo cars and will always own turbo cars as long as there is fuel to put in them. Unfortunatly, the 1.8T has left me stranded four times in 42K miles :mad: Though not hardware that has failed but always the software, now I just don't have that confidence that another 200+ mile day will go by without a hitch. So I always keep at least one 'backup' daily driver, and yes it's a turbo car 8)

·
PassatWorld Staff
12,267 Posts
Wow... well, I have a '98 AEB-engined B5. I live in Albuquerque. I've taken it to Houston and back. San Fransisco and back four times. Tennessee and back. New York and back, with two days of track time at Watkins Glen while I was there. Denver/Cheyenne and back three times, with a track day at Second Creek on one of those trips. Never has it left me stranded.

The ICM went out on me in-town, close to home, replaced under warranty, I've heat-shielded the living crap out of it so I don't expect it to ever go bad again. The cat separated from the turbo outlet flange in Denver - I was able to sensibly drive it home, although if I hadn't had heat-shielding it might have melted a hole in my airbox...

I love my car. For me it's been extremely reliable. But I have to say I couldn't recommend it to anyone else. There's too much that could go wrong. I consider myself lucky... or blessed, or something...

1 - 20 of 36 Posts