Moderator/Administrator
24,880 Posts
x2. 1.8T goes like this from 98-2005.

AEB 98-99
ATW 2000
AUG 2001
AWM 2001.5-2005

Pretty sure I got them all right.

Each engine was a slight change from the previous with regards to crankcase ventilation, ignition system, intake port sizing, fuel delivery and HP.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks VAGguy thats what I needed. Now I know what people are refering to when they use those acronyms on this site.
I had an earlier post on here concerning a water pump. I just purchase one for an 04 Passat 1.8T and I believe this one is Timing Belt driven unlike the one I replaced on a 99. Also most on this site said not to use the Prestone 50/50 mix because the ethyl glycole in it damages the impeller. Doesn't every antifreez use ethyl glycol?

·
I'm just itching to be Banned
13,880 Posts
Thanks VAGguy thats what I needed. Now I know what people are refering to when they use those acronyms on this site.
I had an earlier post on here concerning a water pump. I just purchase one for an 04 Passat 1.8T and I believe this one is Timing Belt driven unlike the one I replaced on a 99. Also most on this site said not to use the Prestone 50/50 mix because the ethyl glycole in it damages the impeller. Doesn't every antifreez use ethyl glycol?
No, many companies such as VW and GM have decided to forgo anti freeze with ethyl glycol, because A) it is deadly when consumed by humans and animals, B) it is not enviromentally friendly, and C) it is more taxing on the system components

Anti freeze such as PreStone is a definite no-no, besides do you really want to have any more toxic chemicals in the house with your family than you have to?

·
Registered
11,873 Posts
x2. 1.8T goes like this from 98-2005.

AEB 98-99
ATW 2000
AUG 2001
AWM 2001.5-2005

Pretty sure I got them all right.

Each engine was a slight change from the previous with regards to crankcase ventilation, ignition system, intake port sizing, fuel delivery and HP.
Some auto parts stores, and I believe the bentley manual(CD) Indicate that the ATW was in some 1999's

·
Registered
5,332 Posts
The difference between G12 and Generic Green Crap is not the coolant, which is indeed ethylene glycol in both cases. The difference is in the anti-corrosion additive package.

Don't cheap out, and just use real G-12. Over the life of the coolant, the price difference is minimal.

SirWired

1 - 7 of 7 Posts