Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all pretty new to this forum stuff but I decided to seek out some help with my Project B5. Its a V6 2.8 FWD with a good few quirky problems but it has been insanely reliable considering the condition I picked it up in for a few hundred bucks from a local junk car dealer. With future plans being either a rebuild of its current engine or swapping it for a 2.7 Biturbo I have not yet decided on that.

Here is a before and after from picking it up and a few years of ownership:

My only concern with the car are parts and how hard it is to find because I have been having problems finding a reliable source in NJ couple of months back I had a rear end incident and Im still thinking about how I will go about fixing it which is definitely what I would like to do maybe some of you are local to my area and have some experience finding parts.

Here is a picture of the rear end (I will need some body panel work around the headlight since it got pushed in a slight):

This post is kind of all over the place but its mainly as an introduction to what Im currently working with and maybe get some feedback on my parts finding issue

·
Registered
27,231 Posts
Good work saving a B5. Other than new interior parts, most parts are still available as there were a lot of B5s sold. There are plenty more in the junkyards for parts. Keep the 2.8 if you like it being reliable. The 2.7T would have severe traction problems.
www.car-part.com should have a searchable directory for parts.

Reactions: DERK.B5.Passat

·
Registered
116 Posts
Good looking B5...

The 2.7 is a swap that is going to take a lot of time, money and extreme patience. After all the time and energy I put into researching and sourcing everything for a 2.7tt for myself I was talked out of the swap. PZ was actually one of them :) (y) . If you are looking for something easy and cheap I'd just go with 1.8T swap. A few bolt-ons, a tune and you will have power to have some fun with. Along with that power a bit of money into the suspension and you will see why we all love this platform so much.

BTW That rear end damage doesn't look bad at all...it was hit in all the right places.

Don't forget there are plenty of parts that a interchangeable from the Audi A4 as well. Plenty of times I've looked up parts and was shocked to see the price. When that happens I just look for the same thing but from an A4 and you will find sometimes its cheaper.

Welcome to PassatWorld, stick around, there is lots to learn here!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks PZ for the link already found a bumper and boot for a very good price nearby, nearest junkyard gave me an estimate of $375 for a rear bumper when I called them up so that site is really handy. I definitely will take that into consideration about the 2.7 swap it was just an idea after all not something Im set in stone on doing, I do enjoy the current 2.8 that it came with I only really have an after market exhaust from TT tuning and a cold air intake on it with some new NGK coils and plugs, I would also be curious if the 2.8 can get tuned to deliver more power than it currently is.

And thanks Derk maybe that rear end just looks a lot worse than it is to me but hopefully I can get that fixed up soon other than that I really enjoy the B5 journey so far, apart from the currently sagging interior (which is also on my giant to-do list with this car)

·
Registered
5,081 Posts
The 2.8 V6 is about all tapped out of power from the factory. There are some tunes out there for the V6, but the money you'll have shell out vs the gains doesn't make it a worthy spend.
If you've if got some money laying around that would've been spent on a tune / chip, save it and go with a 1.8t, or if you're really ambitious, get a G2 supercharger. Those are getting hard to find though.

·
Registered
2001 Passat wagon; 2016 Golf Sportwagen
5,444 Posts
My younger son's experience with a 2.7T (2000 Audi A4) was an unmitigated disaster. I would not recommend that engine to anyone.We have also found that the B5 S4 is considered a money pit, and that was certainly our experience. Stick with the 2.8 -- I don't think your car merits an engine swap, even for a 1.8T.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts