Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, since the Passat's off the ground, I decide to work on a tming chain cover for my V8. A new unit sells for $125. I can get it for about $100 new from select vendors, however, I bought a used one on EBay for $36 shipped. A wire wheel and bead blasting and it looks just about new IMO:

Will FINALLY be ordering the CompCam's cam kit, Ford Racing Valve Covers, an oil adapter (of all things, I don't have the threaded pipe/adapter to put on an oil filter!) and lifter stabilizers (normally come on all 5.0's but this was a new block so it doesn't have the hardware.) Should have those in about 2 weeks (takes PayPal 4-5 days to get funds into the account.)

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
I'm definitely investing in a media-blasting rig, Herman. Your FFR is going to rival some of the trailer queens. Please tell me you'll drive yours!

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
nice, love to see another perfectionnist. :thumbup:

alex

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
Can I borrow your sandblasting machine after you're done? I need to detail my whole engine bay. :wink:

·
Registered
5,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Scotaku: oh hell yeah, it's being built "as" a daily driver but to be driven at least 4 - 8 times a month on non-rainy days. :)

rollininstyle2004: $8200+ and the valvetrain will be ordered shortly so it's going to be $9k before the end of June! (Keeping in mind about $1,000 is in tools alone).

Bead blasting is a bit slower than the alum. oxide but it doesn't scratch the aluminum casting. I actually have NOT used the portable yet; it's reservered for the T5 Tranny in the spots I couldn't get at with the wire wheel, and the iron pumpkin. If anyone has anything they want me to blast, just drop on by! :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.