Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From information gathered in this club, everyone agrees that the timing belt should be replaced around the 60k mile mark. However, I have the 10 year/100,000 mile warranty on my 5-speed, 2001.5 variant (1.8T). Am I wrong to wait until pretty much 99K miles before changing it? To my knowledge, this is a wear/powertrain item, so if it breaks before I hit 100k miles (currently at 56K) VWoA should fix it at no charge (maybe even include a loaner vehicle?). Please correct me if I am wrong, and any extra info will be appreciated.

·
Registered
5,050 Posts
quality_sound said:
only go that route if you can provide proof that EVERY service and oil change was done on time. if you can't provide that VW won't cover it.

Paul :thumbup:
not to mention . . . . they won't give you a loaner once you're out of your bumper to bumper warranty. If you need your car everyday, the cost of a car rental pretty much covers the timing belt kit. Most vw shops will take about 7-10 buisness days to get the issue squared away. Sometimes even more of the engine needs to be replaced.

Dave

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
You know I thought about it, however my car must have been manufactured on Wednesday so i have really strong engine. The thought of replacing the head and the pistons in case the TB goes made me change the TB at 70K. Why risk it.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
passwag02 I wouldn’t worry about it in your situation. Most of the problems seem to be with 98/99’s because of the tensioner. 01 already has an updated tensioner so you “should” be ok. Just continue on with regular maintenance, which might include a timing belt inspection.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.