Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It has been blatantly obvious to me that VW is at the bottom of the list of reliability for a reason. After years of owning Toyotas & Nissans I made the dismal decision to purchase a 2015 passat! I found out very quickly that although I love the way the car rides and performs, it is a electronic nightmare , suspension nightmare . The AC went out after 70,000 miles, clockspring, door lock actuator, and my sons Passat broke a valve spring at 50,000 miles !!! VW engineering is a joke ! and the cost to repair them is insane never again !

·
PassatWorld Elder
8,244 Posts
I could say the same about the 2016 Toyota Rav4 I bought for my wife.
At 28k miles the brakes were junk. The factory tires were garbage and tossed. Can't disengage / disable the traction control system. What the hell is that all about?
I live on a dirt road with a of lot sand, yeah that's real helpful as soon the tire slips, stops dead and sinks into the sand.
Not to mention the gutless 2.5L engine that can't out of its own way. Then there's the NAV system that's got a mind of its own.
Rides like a cereal box on bicycle tires.

My 1998 Passat has got 180k miles and just needs a clutch for the first time. Has it been a perfect car? No, it hasn't.
But its 10 times a vehicle the Rav will ever be, gets better MPG's, even with the manual seats it's way more comfortable.
I'll personally never buy another Toyota.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I could say the same about the 2016 Toyota Rav4 I bought for my wife.
At 28k miles the brakes were junk. The factory tires were garbage and tossed. Can't disengage / disable the traction control system. What the hell is that all about?
I live on a dirt road with a of lot sand, yeah that's real helpful as soon the tire slips, stops dead and sinks into the sand.
Not to mention the gutless 2.5L engine that can't out of its own way. Then there's the NAV system that's got a mind of its own.
Rides like a cereal box on bicycle tires.

My 1998 Passat has got 180k miles and just needs a clutch for the first time. Has it been a perfect car? No, it hasn't.
But its 10 times a vehicle the Rav will ever be, gets better MPG's, even with the manual seats it's way more comfortable.
I'll personally never buy another Toyota.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Unfortunately rarities do happen even with extremely reliable manufacturers like Toyota . In this instance The VW Passat cannot even compare to other manufacturers in the reliability column. The cost of repairs on VW’s is astronomical compared to comparable manufacturers!

Electrical nightmares! AC out at 50,000 miles , broken valve spring, door lock actuator, heater , it’s just pure junk !!

·
Moderator/Administrator
26,028 Posts
All 2012+ Passats were built in Chattanooga for the US market. You could add another gripe and blame it on American assembly workers, if you'd like.

FWIW, my 2015 Passat TDI SEL Premium was perfect for the 2 years and 55k miles I had it. Not a single extra expense, hiccup, or issue besides fuel, oil changes, and an air filter.

·
PassatWorld Elder
8,244 Posts
So, can I assume the OP will not be good for some valuable input for those who do like Passat's?

·
Moderator/Administrator
26,028 Posts
Reactions: Urlik
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.