Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had the opportunity to buy a Juiceman Jr. for $15 brand new and decided to try it out. I've wanted to try it in the past, but considering my low level of interet in kitchen appliances, I didn't want to spend retail on such a thing.

Anyone have one or similar? Just how much fruit and veggies does it take to make a real 16oz glass of juice? I love fruit juice and such, but if I have to buy five grocery bags full of juice each week to enjoy one or two glasses a week, I'll give it to Goodwill.

I'm no health nut...just thought it might be nice for summertime drinks for us and the kids.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Darter said:
Juicing...worth the effort/expense?
Barry Bonds thinks so! :wink:

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I used to use my Juiceman Jr. all the time. I haven't for a few years. I found it was a pain to clean, so there it sits in the back of my cupboard. I made carrot-orange-ginger juice all the time. The proportions were 2 oranges, 4 medium carrots, and a hunk (3/4" cube?) of ginger root. Made a healthy glass.

Be careful when you first start juicing. Don't just swill down the first glass. Swish the first few sips in your mouth before swallowing, then nurse the glass for 30 minutes. Your colon will thank you. :nervous: :)

·
Registered
244 Posts
If you really get into juicing, it makes sense to get a higher-end juicer. They work faster and will extract more juice from the fruits & veggies, so you save money in the long run. But for $15, go for the Juiceman, and if you become a juicehead you can always upgrade later.

I have a Champion juicer -- I used it daily for a while when my wife was on a juice kick. Now the main thing I use it for is making reduction sauces -- basically you boil the juice down to syrup-like consistency, and add a litttle butter and seasoning. Scallops with carrot-ginger sauce is one of my favorites!

·
Registered
5,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i wish i could provide a link, butt it's from an employee-only sale that's going on in our building today, and there was only one. it's one of the perks of working in the department store business. the merch buyers make up ridiculously low prices for stuff that they get as samples for free from the manufacturers. the money goes toward a holiday party for everyone. most brand name clothing is under $5, luggage for under $20, bedding for even less...you get the idea. :wink:

i haven't even tried this yet (just got it this morning), but most online reviews say it's a decent starter juicer. so when i burn this out, and if i want to upgrade, what's recommended from there? is there a "juicer buyer's guide" somewhere?

·
Registered
5,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
flipsauce said:
I made carrot-orange-ginger juice all the time. The proportions were 2 oranges, 4 medium carrots, and a hunk (3/4" cube?) of ginger root. Made a healthy glass.
that doesn't sound too bad. when they're doing those infomercials, they never reveal just how much goes into a glass, so you just can't tell. i really need to up my fruit and veggie intake. this should go a long way for me provided i'm diligent with it.

flipsauce said:
Be careful when you first start juicing. Don't just swill down the first glass. Swish the first few sips in your mouth before swallowing, then nurse the glass for 30 minutes. Your colon will thank you. :nervous: :)
HAHAHAHA! thanks for the good advice! i doubt i'll be reading that caution in the owner's manual tonight. i'll have to watch it since i love juice. :lol:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
6 Participants
Darter
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing