Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im about to get my hands covered in oil once again, Iv gone out and got a S reg 1.9 TDi 110 sport for around the £600 mark, the only problem is a valve has snapped off and welded itself to a pistion,

it may be fixed or i may just put a donnor in for about £500

the rest of the car looks like this,

the inside needs a good old scub as its been sat there for 11 months,

Not bad for about £1000 eh, how much could i sell it for ? Any SLR owners out there wanting a private plate,

·
Registered
27,585 Posts
Nice find. How did he drop the valve?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
something to do with the cam belt jumping a cog when it was replaced, i feel it could have been that or a sticky valve, the guy who had cant fix it as he cant aford to and hes not realy that cleaver when it comes down to this sort of thing, his loss my gain,

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
got the passat back to northampton today on the back of a pick up truck,

dropped it off at the garage,

found this info in the boot, AFN engine , 110bhp i think, can anyone confirm ?

now the fun stars of stripping it down and putting it all back together!

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the beat goes on, pulled the front off today to get stuck in,

we got the old valve off the piston, It needs a new piston and con rod, will get and fit them tomorrow,

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
you guys crack me up, back to the garage in a min, gonna open the pistons up today, new pistion rings all round and a new piston & con rod for the bashed pistion, its not lined up with No 4 pistion, More news later, just off to the Bargin Booze shop to get some fuel for the boys, :beer:

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Er i feel its going to be a newer enging, for cost reasons, VW wont sell just 1 con rod on its own, you have to buy 4 at £390+Vat new piston £140+Vat and shells at £60+Vat for 1 con rod, = far to much cash, Newer Engine = £395 inc VAT delivered

so today will be all about stripping out the old engine and preping it for a newer engine!

Watch this space!

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
more stripping it down today, Engine should arrive monday morning now, was ment to be delivered on friday! TNT Grrrrr!

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Almost there folks, Got the new engine all in, started it up for about 30 secs,
just need to re build the front up and get it MOT'ed & Taxed, Hopefuly that can be done tomorrow and a road trip to London and back should tell if iv done a good job or ballsed it up if i end up on the hard shoulder!

heres the dead piston,

the dead engine,

the newer engine fitted, looks better now,

and the bad boy who started all this, gave it a wash up, i may even drill a hole and put it on a key ring!

and a dead battery was pulled out today and a new one fitted, i washed out all the crap that was built up since 1998 and found some rust :( not too sure what im going to cure this with, anyone?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well i got the car back today, a few small issues to be delt with in the next few days, few bits of trim need replacing inside the car, the engine underside pannel needs putting back on when i get some screws

heres the 2 passats together,

and one of it as it just passed teh MOT!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts