Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Reverend Arthur Dimmwit
3,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
John Stossel addresses the Fraser Institute regarding free markets.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1876894381231272307 Safe for work and well worth your time.

Synopsis: It's fallacious to believe that more regulation and laws make us more safe. In general, history suggests the opposite to be true.

My opinion: Our founders were much smarter than I am and they decided that liberty was the way to go. It's not perfect, but the alternative is worse. I concur.

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
John Stossel addresses the Fraser Institute regarding free markets.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1876894381231272307 Safe for work and well worth your time.

Synopsis: It's fallacious to believe that more regulation and laws make us more safe. In general, history suggests the opposite to be true.

My opinion: Our founders were much smarter than I am and they decided that liberty was the way to go. It's not perfect, but the alternative is worse. I concur.
The video stopped about a third of the way through, but what I saw wasn't persuasive.

While I agree with him re legalization of marijuana, on that topic and others all I heard was ancecdotes and either-or thinking. Where's the data?
He thinks that the government protecting us from thalidomide "isn't worth it?" Interesting values hierarchy.
How does he propose to deal with the inevitable cyclical trauma for those among the lower economic strata (as well as those at the lower end of the other social dominance hierarchies - race, gender, sexual orientation, physical and mental ability, etc. - as well), the people least capable of succeeding in a competitive market system?
How does he propose to deal with the invevitable cyclical stages of overproduction and the resulting economic "downturns," the likes of which have disrupted the lives of at least a few pw members among the 4.4 million people who have lost jobs recently?
How does he propose to deal with the constant need for expansion to exploit new markets and resources, resulting in the the most violent and vast military empire in the history of humanity?
How does he propose to protect the ecosystem from further corporate rape and pillage?

Even Volcker and Bernanke, two of the U.S.'s most prominent salesmen for the free market over the past three decades, are now pushing the "Obama" plan. Or more accurately - he is pushing theirs.

If this is all the libertarians have to offer, it's no wonder they end up with a clown like Barr as their presidential candidate.

And why do you think a handful of 18th century rich white male colonialists know what is the optimum mode of socio-economic relations for all of humanity in the 21st century?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts