Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, for years I've been a good camper, and waited every 56 days to give blood. However, lately I've been getting lots of calls to give, and the nice Red Cross volunteer tells me how critial the need was and how there is a shortage, and they love my blood type, blah blah blah.

So, being the clever one, I eventually figure out that there are two folks here who'll take my blood, the Red Cross and the San Diego blood bank. each calls me all the time. they don't share records, so the potential to give blood twice as often as I'm supposed to has opened up...

and lately, I've been concerned that I'm just too Lawful Good, I still speed some (for my own protection, of course), but i'm the only person in Socal using my blinkers ('cept for the old fogies who never turn them off... ), heck, I even pick up my dogs poop, and believe me when I say nobody else is doing that around here. :evil:

So, this is my new rebellion. I'm giving blood more often than I'm supposed to from now on. Neener neener. Hopefully they won't notice the track marks. oh, and if I black out, somebody steer this thing.
:p
so, what wild and crazy thing are you doing? :wink:

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
Ummmm...there's a reason they make you wait 56 days. :shock:

If you're just donating platelets, you might be okay doing it more frequently. But losing ~10% of your blood supply (assuming you're about average...I have no idea how big/small you are) less than every eight weeks is rolling the dice a bit...

Andy

·
1st Gear
17,568 Posts
AJChenMPH said:
Ummmm...there's a reason they make you wait 56 days. :shock:

If you're just donating platelets, you might be okay doing it more frequently. But losing ~10% of your blood supply (assuming you're about average...I have no idea how big/small you are) less than every eight weeks is rolling the dice a bit...

Andy
^^^^I think you better listen to Andy.....he would know.

Personally I give blood very....very rarely, which isn't good either.

:thumbup: To jimbob for being a great person and caring about the others!!! Its great to know that there is people like you out there!

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Can't go crazy, already there. I do live in CA. but thanks for the sentiment! :thumbup:

I suppose there is some risk, and I don't plan to make my self anemic, just start working to my schedule, instead of theirs.

FWIW, I'm 6 ft, 200 or so. today I was finished donating with in 6 minutes. so that stufff is eager to leave my body. No lightheadedness, or weakness so far. I'd guess that i gave last about a month ago.

but i also figure that the 56 day rule is designed against the "least common denominator" not a fat-ass like me who eats 4 squares a day and get lots of exercize (hey, it's a long way down to that dog poop :roll: )

so what exactly is the risk? anybody know? Hallucinations would be cool, how much do I have to give to get a hallucination?

i tease the nurses that they are the vampires, not me. :eek:h:

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
JB - come one, now, I use my blinkers all the time, too. And both SDBB and the Red Cross blackmailed me for my trips on reserve duty some time ago, but I gave that up for Lent and the time limit is up in a couple months so I can start giving again, too. And I've been known to run a mile or two over the limit...and pull a CA stop or two. Do you have the free blood card yet? Blood - one more gift that keeps on giving. Make sure you take Geritol to pump up your iron between needle sessions. And we all know you only do it for the donuts...

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
I once dove to 100 ft. and then flew in a pressurized cabin less that 24 hours later.

Worse than that, I drove on the Capital Beltway yesterday... :nervous:

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
you know the great thing about starting a thread is getting to decide what is off-topic. 'course if you me, nothing is off topic, since it's all one big stream of conscious blob. with that intro, i tell you this:

the new thing in my family is to yell at the group leaving the house; "Drive fast, take risks!" it works well in my family since none of listen to each others advice anyway. Gets great looks at the park, though.

no ill effects. just normal stupidity...oh and to passaturbonium, i'm not a great person, but I am great fun to have around. thanks though. :thumbup:

AA: be still my :heart: :lol: :p

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Do they pay for blood donations or did that stop b/c of the bums donating for liquor money?

$$$ for me == blood for them. Only way I "care" to "help"

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
I rolled up in a parking lot on my way to Chipotle this weekend and this dude in a brand new volvo "dropped" his evian bottle right out of his car. I'm pretty slick, and you can't fool a fooler, I rolled my passenger window down, and say:

"Hey dooooode, you dropped your bottle."

And he looks at me like *I'm* the biggest dick in the world! So I threw him a big fat rev, and power slid into a parkingspot like this:
http://www.oktaneclub.com/fun/estacionar.mpeg

Eating my tasty burrito watching my car like a hawk, I contemplated all the funny things I could do since he didn't bother to pick it up.

I restrained myself and after I was finished eating calmly walked over to the car picked up the bottle, and put it in the trash that was located no more than 12 feet away from his car. On the way there however, I admired a nice yellow S4 parked next to him.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts