Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Rational has some decent stuff, but they're very expensive, so it depends on your departments budget.

Also try looking at Segue (www.segue.com) -- they have some good stuff too.

If neither of those companies have what you need, try looking or searching through the Sun Java boards, it might have been discussed there.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Are you looking for tools to be used by developers or by a separate QA group? Junit is for unit testing by developers; you write a tests to prove the validity of every piece of code; the suite of tests can then be run to test the entire code base. This is VERY valuable but doing it right takes a lot of discipline (writing good tests can take as long as the code that's being tested). This style of unit testing is central to the eXtreme Programming approach, and the recommended sequence is actually to write the junit tests FIRST and then write the code. There are a number of extensions to Junit that allow it to be used for testing web components, etc. Junit is FREE and there is very good support for it on the web.

Testing tools for QA groups are a different thing altogether; typcally these allow you to automate "end user" test scripts. This is often combined with automated load testing. These tools are typically expensive. I have had success with Mercury and Empirix, and would recommend against Rational unless you really need to integrate with the rest of the Rational suite.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks invariant.

The tests will be done by the developers themselves - we are a small company and don't produce enough code to hire a QA person full time. They were looking into QA style testing, specifically for load I was told.

I'll have them look into the two you mentioned.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts