Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been thinking about getting a new car and selling my B5. Originally I was thinking about a 2002 S4 and then a 2002 A6 4.2 (I haven't test driven either of these.) Both of these cars are in my price range (18-22k) would have about 50k+ miles on them. I've wanted an S4 for as long as I can remember but today I did the unexpected, I walked down to the Jaguar dealership and test drove a 2002 Jaguar X-Type. Does anyone have any real experience with these cars? I like the way it drove and also really like the way they look. I've read here on the PW forums that they tend to be unreliable but the service at the dealerships makes up for that. The one I looked at comes with a bumper to bumper warranty to 50k and some kind of Jaguar Certified Used Car Warranty to 100k. So does anyone have any comments on the X-Type vs the A6 4.2 and the S4? Any ideas on another car that I may be overlooking? Here's a link to the X-Type I test drove:

http://downtown.lutherauto.com/Preowned-Inventory.aspx?InventoryId=8145310

Thanks for any feedback.

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
I'll start with a caveat: my only experience with an X-Type 3.0 is when I rented one (got a free upgrade) for about three days in LA a few years back.

I have always thought that Jaguars are sexy cars up and down the line. (Of course, I may be slightly biased, since my mom went through three Jags from 1984 through 2001.) Having said that, while I enjoyed the way it looks and the interior amenities (read: leather) of the X-Type, I wasn't thrilled with its performance -- for a 3.0 liter engine, I thought it was a bit low on torque; interior space was a bit lacking (I had to pull the seat forward of where I wanted to comfortably fit three small women in the back) and the suspension was a bit wallowy if you pushed it or hit a dip on the highway. On the other hand, it was fairly quiet, the ride was very smooth on flat pavement, and AWD is great in the winter.

Would I get one? Not at this stage in my life (also keeping in mind that I'm a road course junkie), but maybe later after I've gotten the wanna-be-Mario-Andretti stuff out of my system.

Just my $0.02.

Andy

·
Registered
5,449 Posts
With any of those cars I would want to make sure I got a serious CPO warranty, something like 6 yrs/100k miles.

Not a big fan of Jags. The S4 probably compares somewhat (mostly in size) to the X-Type while the A6 is a much bigger (and refined) beast.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts

I took this picture of the X-Type (loaner) I drove two months ago when our S-Type was in the shop. Nice car? Sure. Would I buy one? No because there are better cars out there. Personally it didn't feel that special inside nor did it have wonderful brakes. Also the 4WD system annoyed the hell out of me. Everytime I let off on the gas and went back on, I felt this huge clunk as it put itself in gear again. I'm also not impressed with side impact test results. Engine was okay. Was great in the rain, corners well.
Another conclusion I came to is that when you buy a BMW 3 series or Audi A4, you feel the same amount of quality as you would in a 5 or A6. The X really does feel much cheaper overall than the S-Type (pricetag aside) and I just can't get over it. Get an A4 instead.

p.s. that pic was taken a minute before baisee and I went into Genki for some Tapioca and two minutes before I got a parking ticket for an expired meter

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Not enough bang for your buck... Unless you're a badge whore, there are several other cars in that price range that are better, including those with badge whore worthy... badges?

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
As has already been said, Jaguar has the most beautiful line of cars. The X-Type and S-Type are VERY ATTRACTIVE. I have never driven one, but from what I have been told their reliablilty is lacking!!!!

I know Jaguar had some very attractive incentives on the X-Type some time ago...not sure now.

·
Registered
952 Posts
I always heard if you had want a Jaguar, you need 2. One to drive while the other's in the shop...

But then again, VW's can't really hold that arguement...

·
Registered
5,885 Posts
mdelker said:
I always heard if you had want a Jaguar, you need 2. One to drive while the other's in the shop.
That's more to do with the old days of Lucas electrical systems.
The new Jags have quality issues, not necessarily reliabilty issues -- there's a difference.

·
Registered
952 Posts
I see the x-type as a Ford Mondeo with a jaguar glued to the hood. i guess that's where the "quality" issues arises from - Ford parents.

·
Registered
5,449 Posts
Why do the British drink warm beer? Because Lucas makes their refrigerators.

·
Registered
5,449 Posts
mdelker said:
I see the x-type as a Ford Mondeo with a jaguar glued to the hood. i guess that's where the "quality" issues arises from - Ford parents.
So misinformed. Jaguar was terrible before Ford bought them. Then they had a transition period and now they probably hold up relatively well (compared to their other European peers). Not to mention their designs are pretty good (especially the new XJ).

·
Registered
952 Posts
yes their design is good. yes their quality has improved. but is it the performance vehicle supercooloptw is looking for? is it spacious? no. there's more room in the back seat of a golf.

·
Registered
5,449 Posts
Don't make a statement knocking the Jag's quality and when you're wrong point to other aspects of the vehicle that might not fit his decision. Why not just jump straight to the whole part about it not being spacious or having the right performance.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
chrisyoon said:
Not enough bang for your buck... Unless you're a badge whore, there are several other cars in that price range that are better, including those with badge whore worthy... badges?
Agreed.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Medrosje said:
So misinformed. Jaguar was terrible before Ford bought them. Then they had a transition period and now they probably hold up relatively well (compared to their other European peers). Not to mention their designs are pretty good (especially the new XJ).
^ Agreed.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
mdelker said:
Name a US brand with higher quality than Ford. Also, according to everything I have read Ford is ranked higher than ALL other Euro brands in quality and reliability. That being said... buy the S4 or the A6 they are just better looking and have better performance. We don't buy VWAG for their reliabilty, if we did buy for reliability we would own Fords and just about anything from the Pacific Rim.

·
the Sal wannabe
4,901 Posts
jags = money pit... i own an 2000 xj8. as much as i love the car, i hate the fact it requires frequent visits to be serviced for abs modules dying or frayed wires bunched up at the trunk hindge... it's been a rather pricey 29k miles so far.

as for the xtype, i chose the passat over the xtype back in 2003 after some search. basically, i just felt the xtype was too cheap lookin to be a jag. it didnt really share jag's classy design, or perhaps forced itself to resemble it.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts