Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I let my brother borrow my car (big mistake I know...) He got a flat at his house and decided to use a floor jack to lift the car. He put it behind the front drivers side tire and managed to push a bubble up into floor board of the drivers side... I can post pics later, but for reference the bubble is right where the monster mats say PASSAT if anyone knows what I mean. Any advice on repair? I know the CCM is nearby so I'll probably pull the seat, carpet, and CCM before going at it with a hammer... It didn't punch all the way through, but the bubble is enough to be noticed and to annoy me when I'm driving.:mad:

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
If it did not puncture, then I would do the same thing you are considering... make sure everything is out of the way and beat the bulge down to get things roughly back into shape. If it did puncture through, things are probably going to be a bit more complicated to fix.

·
Registered
7,568 Posts
I know the CCM is nearby so I'll probably pull the seat, carpet, and CCM before going at it with a hammer... It didn't punch all the way through, but the bubble is enough to be noticed and to annoy me when I'm driving.:mad:
Then use the same hammer (make sure it's a VW #7798 BFH) on your brother's head.

·
Resident a-hole knowitall
15,715 Posts
ok here is what you do, use VW specialty tool #8008* apply to brothers back of head, repeat as necessary until the point is clear.

*#8008 = back of right hand

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,743 Posts
If you don't want to mar the paint coating of the floor board and reduce risk of stretching/puncturing the metal, use a section of 2x4 to hammer on. Either lay flay on on it's end.

·
Registered
6,143 Posts
I'd use a rubber mallet or dead-blow hammer...

·
15,715 Posts
hehehe you said dead-blow :rofl:

·
15,715 Posts
look someone figured it out :thumbup:

·
Registered
815 Posts
You might want to do as mentioned above with the 2x4 and use a floor jack to LIGHTLY push it up against the area you're going to pound on. If the 2x4 is long enough to span the dent, it'll give you a rough idea of how far down you'll have to pound the dent and not go any farther than necessary.

I had a similar thing happen to my '79 Scirocco when I attempted to jack it up, except it puckered the side panel near the jack point. No way to easily restore the panel, so it became a constant reminder to me to place the jack exactly on the jack points.

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,743 Posts
I was mentioning using the 2x4 to pound the dent back. It's soft and will not cause sharp dents. vTakes some of the shock away from the hammer.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts