Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
And:
The manufacturers performing worst in the survey were Volkswagen, Suzuki, Daewoo and Kia. Those names, along with Ford's Land Rover brand, were also the worst-ranked brands in the survey. Land Rover was second-worst with 441 problems per 100 vehicles. Kia had 509.
Now THAT is a problem...

·
Registered
4,121 Posts
As i have said before, the future for VW and Audi looks sort of dim right now, much like it did in the past. I'm sure they'll pull out of it, just like before, but not before the damage is done. But there is a good side to this...low resale values make slightly used Audis and VWs a bargain. Right now you can get a 2000 A6 2.7TT quattro for under $15,000 and a 2000 A8 4.2 quattro for about $20,000. The A6 was a $35k car and the A8 was a $60-70k car...

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
duandcc said:
Right now you can get a 2000 A6 2.7TT quattro for under $15,000 and a 2000 A8 4.2 quattro for about $20,000. The A6 was a $35k car and the A8 was a $60-70k car...
I need to move to the states, I would be sooooo pimping. Up here, a 2000 Passat is around $22,000!

·
Registered
12,116 Posts
Honda_to_VW said:
duandcc said:
Right now you can get a 2000 A6 2.7TT quattro for under $15,000 and a 2000 A8 4.2 quattro for about $20,000. The A6 was a $35k car and the A8 was a $60-70k car...
I need to move to the states, I would be sooooo pimping. Up here, a 2000 Passat is around $22,000!
Yea, but if you were in the states you would have been laid off twice in the past year and your house would have cost three times as much.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Image uploading. Refresh page to view

That house (in Orlando - hey Canadian's like Florida for obvious reasons) above is $177,900 // 3 Bed, 2 Bath // 1791 Sq. Ft and is more then we'd need, it would cost well into the $220,000 here. The average price of a house in Montreal is now $159,000.

Or this one
$158,900 // 3 Bed, 2 Bath // 1,498 Sq. Ft.

If I got laid off twice, that means that their are plenty of jobs to go around for me to get hired twice as well.

We just have to get this gun thing resolved.

·
Registered
120 Posts
More like get laid off, take 6 months to find another job, get laid off 4 months into the job and repeat.

Honda_to_VW said:
If I got laid off twice, that means that their are plenty of jobs to go around for me to get hired twice as well.

·
Registered
12,116 Posts
It's an interesting economics theory you've got there - that getting laid off multiple times means there's lots of jobs to go around.

I can pick the right town to find cheap housing too. Usually these towns have their own problems that keep housing cheap (like being in BFE). Depends what business you're in, but if you don't want to live in BFE and commute several hours per day, the real estate market is high. If you look into moving down more seriously I believe you'll discover this for yourself.

·
Registered
12,116 Posts
Just the current situation. 4 years ago it was the exact opposite (and you could sell a Honda Civic for a billion dollars in the used market). Housing was cheap and plentiful but on the rise. I've got a friend who bought his house for $210k in '99 and just had it appraised at over $300k. Of course he can't get out of it and take the cash because all housing is pretty much like that.

Basically I'm just saying that if you were living in the area where these used cars are going for so cheap right now, they wouldn't seem so cheap. The converse is that those of us trying to sell cars are getting screwed :(

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What is BFE?

What is wrong with Orlando, it's a major city right? Is Orlando known for cheap housing? Where is the cost of housing considered normal? Miami? Tampa? :???:

Unfortunetly, I live far away so I cannot drive down and see what is what. I do not have a map of suburbs and downtown. I am using realtor.com as a guide.

I consider a 20 minute drive each way normal for where I live - say 30 with traffic.

Enlighten me if you can.

Wow. Na, here the used car market is not very much influenced by the economic situation. Not to that kind of degree.

·
Registered
12,116 Posts
BFE is "bum-fuck egypt" 8) Slang for the middle of nowhere.

Every area is slightly different. The east and west coasts are the worst right now. The midwest is probably affected by this the least (Because who wants to live there anyways? :p )

Cost of living in Orlando is below average. I won't speak for Florida as a whole but I think it's safe to say you could not have the same type of life in any city there that you could in Montreal. I haven't been there but I'm assuming it's something like Toronto/Ottawa. To keep in that type of city you'd need to look north a bit. The south-east US is kind of its own country, despite the outcome of that whole civil war thing ;)

There are exceptions because there's a lot of diversity in the US but on the whole economic conditions are pretty rough right now.

In California and the north east most people in major metros would kill for a 20 minute commute..

·
Registered
4,121 Posts
The cost of housing even here in SE Virginia is getting pretty high, but not like northern VA. Built our 1,600 sq ft house on a 75x100 lot for $127,000 in 2000, just appraised for $157,900.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
Now that's a deal....in Northern NJ, a 3br-2bath house here will run you about $300k and up

Honda_to_VW said:

That house (in Orlando - hey Canadian's like Florida for obvious reasons) above is $177,900 // 3 Bed, 2 Bath // 1791 Sq. Ft and is more then we'd need, it would cost well into the $220,000 here. The average price of a house in Montreal is now $159,000.

Or this one
$158,900 // 3 Bed, 2 Bath // 1,498 Sq. Ft.

We just have to get this gun thing resolved.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
BFE is "bum-fuck egypt" 8) Slang for the middle of nowhere.

In Quebec, we call that 'shi book book mook'. Don't ask.

Cost of living in Orlando is below average. I won't speak for Florida as a whole but I think it's safe to say you could not have the same type of life in any city there that you could in Montreal. I haven't been there but I'm assuming it's something like Toronto/Ottawa.

I guess we both have our pre-concieved notions based on what we see and hear. Ottawa is a small city of a million inhabitants. Toronto has a population of over 5 million. Montreal sits in between at around 3 million. Life in Montreal is considred europeen and life in Toronto is considered American. The vibe of both cities is very different. Ottawa... well lets not get into that. :)

Anyhow, thanks. For now the plan is to move to T.O. next year and to Florida in 5 years after that.

·
Registered
12,116 Posts
Let me give you an idea of what we've got here in northern CA. This is from my zip code (which is "midtown" Sacramento. Sac is generally considered a cheap place to live in CA)

3bd/1.5ba - $330,000

3bd/2ba - $399,000 (this place is a couple blocks from the house that I'm renting right now)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts