Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
murdered out Jetta, er, B5 Passat
11,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, three years ago I picked up a used sub set-up that included 2 12" subs and an amp. It was crazy loud and pounded like f**k. I loved it so much. But a couple years ago my garage was broken into and my subs were stolen.

So a few months after they were stolen, I managed to pick up 1 10" 800W Sony Sub & 1 600W Sony Amp brand new for a decent price. Since day one this set up has not been even a little loud or pound even a little bit. With the sub settings on my AVIC-D3 all the way to the max and the volume as well, and with the trunk closed, I can't even tell the sub is on. :banghead: :mad: :cry: :thumbdown :(

What do you guys think it is? Defective products? Maybe my amp is not powerful enough to fully power up my sub? Maybe I've got it wired up wrong? :confused: :confused: :confused:

Here is my exact amp:

http://buy4less.trustpass.alibaba.com/product/108496700-101520436/Sony_Xplod_XM_554ZR_Amplifier.html

My old stolen set:

TIA! :salute:

·
Registered
222 Posts
The watts that your amp puts out at 4ohms are very conservative... which means low lol. Also look around on craigslist for a 400-600 watt mono amp and you'll be thumping your brain out.

·
11,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just took my sub outta it's speaker box and this is exactly what is says on the back of it.

So what kind of amp do I need then?

·
Registered
222 Posts
Well thats a 200 watt RMS sub, so your amp should be makin it bump, not brain rattling but bump nonetheless. Sony isn't really a great sub company, good, but not great. I say if you want to bump just buy a new sub and amp. If you want to keep that sub and amp tho, make sure your box is correct for the sub.

# 10" 4-ohm subwoofer
# 5-sided polypropylene cone with foamed rubber surround
# power range: 50-200 RMS watts (800 watts peak power)
# frequency response: 27-3,000 Hz
# senstitivity: 88 dB
# mounting depth: 4-15/16"
# sealed box volume: 0.59 cu. ft.
# ported box volume: 0.91 cu. ft.

Does your sub box have a port(circle) or a slot in it?

·
11,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The box I have for it is a BassWorx one. I noticed that one side of the sub was screwed in the box good and tight. And the other side was not screwed in good at all, the screws were like half screwed inside the box and half not screwed into anything.

Like this:

·
Punches Dubs. True Story
9,982 Posts
I've got to think it's a wiring issue, or defective components. Having worked for Sony and currently having a Sony outlet near my house, it's my default brand for electronics. I know the limitations of the products, but for the prices I've gotten in the past, it returns great value.

I have a 12" Sony in a sealed box that was powered by a Sony amp (go figure!) and at maybe mid volume, it was loud enough to shake the mirrors. If you can't tell that yours is even on, there's got to be a problem. Being quiter than what you had is one thing, but it shouldn't go unnoticed.

·
11,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, I think I'm better off buying another used set of 2 12's in another brand.

I'll post up pics of my box/sub/amp showing how it's wired and mounted in the afternoon when I get home.

Thanks guys.

·
Moderator/Administrator
25,195 Posts
Get a better box or build one. I can easily build one in about an hour.

·
RETIRED Super Stealth Moderator
27,881 Posts
loads of things wrong with this...

first, the sub has to be properly set in the box, which it is not, based on the screw holes. fix that.
next, that amp is not a sub amp, it's a 4 channel amp. at best, it will produce half the rated power for the impedance of the speaker at best. that's only if the amp is bridgeable, and you need to take the time to determine if it can be or not. I'm not sure if the gains are set properly, nor am I sure if the filters are set properly.

take the time to go to Sony's car audio website (google it) and look up the manual for this amp and determine if you can bridge it and make it put out only sub frequencies.

·
11,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the help Jay, I found the manual.

It says I can bridge it, but I don't know what that even means. Does it mean I have to install some new wires on the back of the amp in a certain way?

·
11,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Did a little digging on google in regards to bridging. If I got it strait, I have to move the negative wire from the #1 speaker spot to the #4 speaker spot negative terminal.

Is this correct?

Like this:

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
that looks right. Now do you see where it says level? is that turned all the way down? if so you need to turn that up some, but not too much. halfway is ideal.

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
I'd suggest turning OFF the HPF switch! You're filtering out all the bass in the signal with that switch turned on! This is likely to be completely why it's not doing much of anything right now. You actually need to use the rear channels instead of the front channels.

To bridge the rear amp channels into the sub, you'll connect the sub to the Rear L+ and the Rear R-. The front channels go unused. From everything that I've found, this amp will not operate as a single channel amp. Here's the connections from the user manual:

·
11,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
OK, so I have to turn the HPF switch off, what about the LPF switch? Turn that off too?

Both levels are set to "6", which is the highest number out of all of the numbers there.

So I should move the wires over to the rear speaker out's? And wire it up exactly like in your picture?

Also, what about my RCA cable, I think I had it in the front inputs, I assume I need to plug them into the rear inputs now?

Thanks and yeah on it not being able to become a single channel amp. That's OK, I just hope I can inprove this set up a bit now and use it till I get a better set-up in the summer.

Awaiting for replies.

Thanks!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts