Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my Black Magic 2000 1.8T 5speed used in October of '03 w/ 42k miles. I found this forum pretty much at the same time and since then have been contemplating my mod options. I'm starting off slowly and on a limited budget. The first thing I bought for my car was a K&N air filter -$45 w/ shipping. Next I looked into doing something with my grille. Instead of spending money on a used Kamei I took out the VW badge and painted it black. It cost me around $16 for the paint supplies (sand paper, primer, paint and clear coat). Ended up looking fantastic. Of course I want my car to go faster so I opted out for a 1.0 bar Wetterauer chip. Overall, one of my best customer service experiences and the performance gains are amazing. That set me back $295 plus gas to drive to Valparaiso and back. Yesterday I installed blue tinted side mirrors from IPEX Distributors $46 since my heating elements were burnt out. I also purchased Koito clear corners from eBay for $41.00 shipped. They are made for Chinese Passats. Not sure about quality but they are just clear corners, how bad could it be? By the end of this month I will be purchasing the Eibach Pro-Kit springs and shocks from Shox.com, as a ClubB5 member I should be able to get a discount. I'm hoping to pay around $550 w/ shipping. Right now the car feels very floaty especially at high speeds. With a 1.2" inch drop and stiffer ride it should feel like it's on tracks. Next on my list is a full cat-back exhaust, not a fake cat-back w/out a downpipe like the one sold by FK. I'm looking at maybe trying to get a group buy going on a Brullen system. Then I can install my 1.1 bar chip for even more power gains. Hopefully the exhaust parts will be somewhere in the $800 dollar range. Wheels, tires and 35% tint are the last two things that I would like to do before year's end. Wish me luck.

·
needs more cowbell
5,946 Posts
Good Luck!! :thumbup:

i second that vote for grill pics. i was thinking of doing this.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Too bad the Brullen GB wasn't still active, I think the price of a full exhaust for a 1.8t ended up being ~$700 or so. :cry: :cry:

I missed it too....

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hopefully we can organize something again. I will try to get it going in April by calling Brullen and posting a feeler on the GB forum. Keep an eye out.

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think I did mine perfectly. This was my first time painting anything on a car, so it took me 3 tries. On the last attempt I made sure to scuff it enough for the paint to stick. 4 coats of primer, 4 coats of paint and 4 coats of clear coat. It should be as tough as the rest of the car.

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm taking care of the go-fast mods first. Wheels will be my last upgrade. Suspension, exhaust and a DieselGeek short shifter are my priority right now.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts