Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well for those of use that own b5 have different cruise then b5.5. I think the 5.5 cruise is nices with its simple up down toggle on the end, vs the push in on the end for up and push on this slider to slow down on the b5. So I had evilvariants car here, so I took the cruise control/washer module. Come to find out its completly plug and play switch. If any one would like me to I can make a write of how to do this.

·
Banned
8,975 Posts
(tries to follow) So you're saying the left-side combo switch from the B5.5, with its more intuitive cruise control buttons, will fit onto the B5's steering column? Any idea if there's a limitation on its ability to control the electro-mechanical cruise control that AEB engines have?

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
Tha would be cool for the others with the old stalk. I really do like the newer stalk over the one that was in my 99.

deuse - The stalk just tells the cruise module what to do. It shouldn't make any difference what stalk you use since the stalk doesn't actually control the engine, it just sends signals to the ECU. Maybe I'm not seeing what your asking?

·
Banned
8,975 Posts
Tha would be cool for the others with the old stalk. I really do like the newer stalk over the one that was in my 99.

deuse - The stalk just tells the cruise module what to do. It shouldn't make any difference what stalk you use since the stalk doesn't actually control the engine, it just sends signals to the ECU. Maybe I'm not seeing what your asking?
My concern is that my AEB engine's cruise control is electronically-controlled, but mechanically-actuated, and in addition to this functional difference from the newer cars, there may be other, less obvious differences, such as the types and voltages of signals sent from the newer control stalk. In my mind, there shouldn't be any differences, but VW and I don't seem to think alike in some cases.

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
Ahh. I see. I would think they'd be the same, at least until the signal gets to the ECU. From there I can see it being different but I can't think they'd totally change the voltages and everything. Didn't the AUGs have a cable as well? I think they use the new stalk too.

Hopefully he'll get back and let us know how it worked.

·
Registered
835 Posts
A loosely related question, and not meant as a hijack, but where is the cruise control module located in a b5? When I activate the cruise I hear a faint "click" from the area behind/around the centre console/glove compartment. Does anyone know? MIne is working intermittently and I think I have to replace it.

·
Registered
199 Posts
The module in the B5 is up behind the glove box. If you take the glove box out you'll see a silver box. That siver box is your module.

·
Banned
8,975 Posts
A loosely related question, and not meant as a hijack, but where is the cruise control module located in a b5? When I activate the cruise I hear a faint "click" from the area behind/around the centre console/glove compartment. Does anyone know? MIne is working intermittently and I think I have to replace it.
Your combo switch could be wearing out. The cruise control buttons feed through a plastic ribbon at the base of the control stalk, as I discovered when I was installing my turbo timer. On my switch, that plastic ribbon is cracking in a couple of places, and I intend to replace the switch before I go tearing the dashboard apart to get at the relay.

·
Registered
11,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok will do, Deuce, should not effect the workings of you actually cruise unless they used a different harness, I will take pics of all the harnesses so that you can see tham .

·
Registered
835 Posts
Deuse... The reason I think it is the unit and not the relay is that the cruise will disengage itself on the highway without any action from the stem (and not hitting any bumps, etc.). I guess it could be the stem's cruise-on-off switch failing to give constant +12V to the module... I would have to test for +12V at the module harness while driving. Anyone know the best source for the module (brand new)?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts