Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can somebody confirm that is still OK to use Valvoline MaxLife ATF? Because in MaxLife specs doesn't say any more that is recommended for LT71141? Thanks

·
Registered
2004 GLS 1.8T
12,105 Posts
Call Valvoline and ask them. Otherwise, try it and see. You'd be surprised how often manufacturers change the formula of something (for good or for bad) without changing the label. Me, I wouldn't touch it.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
I'm with Scott, as long as we run between drain and fills or flush and fills in these tiptronics, the cost per mile is negligible. I would rather use Pentosin ATF-1. It's available online or from some OTC parts stores, though they may have to order, and it meets the ZF requirements.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Valvoline MaxLife ATF is all that I use. I just changed out the fluid/filter in my wife's Passat a couple of weekends ago and used MaxLife. For people who believe there is something superior about VW/Audi/Pentosin ATF, I'm sure they get extra peace of mind using it.

·
Registered
2004 GLS 1.8T
12,105 Posts
The forum probably needs another "Can I use XXX ATF?" thread like a hole in the head. BUT, since we're here, I'm fully cognizant that many fluids, including apple juice for all I know, will work fine. Since anything you put in the transmission is there permanently to some extent, I enjoy the peace of mind of knowing for sure. And as I said, this weeks Valvoline may not be last weeks.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know that I can use Pentosin ATF but my problem is that I'm from New Zealand and there is no Pentosin here. Only what I'm able to find is Valvoline and Mobil 1. So that is reason why I asked this. I've heard that there are problems with Mobil 1 ATF, is this true? Also I'm able to find Mobil LT71141 but only problem is that there is no smaller qty is 20l.

·
Registered
2004 GLS 1.8T
12,105 Posts
Maps shows a VW dealer in Wellington, at 60 Kent Terrace. I suspect they sell ATF by the liter; that's what I used.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I know where is VW dealer, but I was looking for alternative. For me is hard to believe that there are only two ATF's, Pentosin and VW, for ZF transmission which is 10 years old. And on other side VW ATF is so pricey :mad::mad::mad:

·
Registered
2004 GLS 1.8T
12,105 Posts
I know. I didn't appreciate paying US $20/L either. Of course there's Valvoline (which as you note may no longer be approved) or other fluids. One available here is called Red Line, which says it IS suitable - but more than one member reported transmission slippage after using it. The only two everyone agrees are safe are the VW OEM and the Pentosin. "You pay your money and you make your choice."

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
The current Valvoline Maxlife MaxLife application list shows VW TL52162. Blauparts advertises one of their German ATFs for: "INLINE mounted 5 speed TIPTRONIC trans requiring Audi Vw automatic transmission TL52162 OE part number G 052 162 A2 specifications". Whether or not they have changed anything about it I couldn't say, but I've been using only the MaxLife in my A4 since '08, and with over 230k miles still shifts perfectly.

·
Registered
853 Posts
One available here is called Red Line, which says it IS suitable - but more than one member reported transmission slippage after using it.
As they say your results may vary. I prefer Redline D4 myself. I found the transmission shifted smoother and faster. I've never had any slippage issues.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The current Valvoline Maxlife MaxLife application list shows VW TL52162. Blauparts advertises one of their German ATFs for: "INLINE mounted 5 speed TIPTRONIC trans requiring Audi Vw automatic transmission TL52162 OE part number G 052 162 A2 specifications". Whether or not they have changed anything about it I couldn't say, but I've been using only the MaxLife in my A4 since '08, and with over 230k miles still shifts perfectly.
I second the recommendation to use Maxlife on VW Tiptronic 5 speed. I'm using it on mine for the last 20,000 miles. Shifts great.
Slightly overfill by having rear of car a bit higher than front when filling.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have a 01 passat v6 triptonic I will be changing the filter soon . i under stand all the fluid will not drain . Can I mix Maxlife with the orignal vw fluid .

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have a 01 passat v6 triptonic I will be changing the filter soon . i under stand all the fluid will not drain . Can I mix Maxlife with the orignal vw fluid .

·
Registered
2004 GLS 1.8T
12,105 Posts
I haven't heard anything negative on the Maxlife. However, I would still use VW OEM or Pentosin. As you note, once you put it in, there will always be some in there. Deliberately mixing two brands/formulations just doesn't seem like good practice to me.

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,165 Posts
Strange how? Feels like it double shifts into second?

·
Registered
819 Posts
For anyone coming across this thread in the future, when in doubt, folks, go to ZF's website every January and bring yourself up to date with the list of ZF approved lubricants
The funny thing is that nobody recommends the fluid these transmissions came with originally- ZF Lifeguard 5- yet there's some serious bending backwards for the cracker barrel Pentosin and/or the VW dealer moonshine. A la guerre comme a la guerre...
By the way, it's widely available, EBay, FCP Euro, Bavarian Autosport, etc, etc.

·
Registered
817 Posts
For anyone coming across this thread in the future, when in doubt, folks, go to ZF's website every January and bring yourself up to date with the list of ZF approved lubricants
The funny thing is that nobody recommends the fluid these transmissions came with originally- ZF Lifeguard 5- yet there's some serious bending backwards for the cracker barrel Pentosin and/or the VW dealer moonshine. A la guerre comme a la guerre...
By the way, it's widely available, EBay, FCP Euro, Bavarian Autosport, etc, etc.
Good point, I've been getting ZF lifeguard from a local ZF trans shop, a year ago I paid $13 a quart.

·
Registered
29 Posts
As they say your results may vary. I prefer Redline D4 myself. I found the transmission shifted smoother and faster. I've never had any slippage issues.
I have also used Redline D4 & D6 ATF. D4 in Passat 01V trans. I have had no problems and like the Redline oils. They publish all their specs online. Most others won't give you much on this.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts