Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I am running into an issue with my B5 for the past few weeks with the lights (well my son is). when you turn on the lights, no matter if you do the running lights only or headlight/foglights combo, the running lights and the taillights will not come on for a while, but the headlights and fog lights will right away. Now if you run them for a while, sometimes after 5 minutes and other times 20+, they will come back on by themselves if you keep the lights on. Would that be a switch issue?

Here is what the car has light wise:

Euro switch
Front and rear fog
Hid headlights

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
924 Posts
It sounds like a bad connection somewhere that becomes connected after it warms up, due the high resistance of the bad connection and the current going through it. The switch would be a good place to start looking and would be my guess as the probable cause. If the switch isn't the problem you'll have to do some electrical diagnosis by checking the voltage to ground at various points along the circuit until you find the fault. A bad ground could be the culprit also as that is just one more connection in the chain.

·
Registered
5,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It sounds like a bad connection somewhere that becomes connected after it warms up, due the high resistance of the bad connection and the current going through it. The switch would be a good place to start looking and would be my guess as the probable cause. If the switch isn't the problem you'll have to do some electrical diagnosis by checking the voltage to ground at various points along the circuit until you find the fault. A bad ground could be the culprit also as that is just one more connection in the chain.
Hey thank you for the reply, i appreciate it. The car is not daily at all, just sits in the garage quite often. I have a little time this weekend coming and i'll follow your steps to see if i can diagnose this, starting with the switch.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts