Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have the factory installed bixenon HIDs on my b6 and at first I started to notice a lot of flickering on the passenger side low beam. This continued for several months and then one day the light went out completely while driving and I got a warning light on the dash. However the moment I turned the car off and on again the light came back on. This is how it behaves now - it turns on just fine when I start the car, starts flickering after a few minutes (while the engine is running) and then eventually (maybe after 15 mins or so) goes off completely.

Figuring it must be the ballast, I removed the bumper and swapped the ballast between the 2 headlights assuming that the problem would follow the passenger side ballast. It didn't. Now that I know the problem isn't the ballast, what is the more likely cause - headlight (bulb) or wiring harness? Seems like a voltage issue to me which is why I was thinking maybe the harness. Surely if the bulb was bad it wouldn't turn on at all? Could running DRLs cause this type of problem?

Grateful for any input/help

·
Registered
12 Posts
However the moment I turned the car off and on again the light came back on. This is how it behaves now - it turns on just fine when I start the car, starts flickering after a few minutes (while the engine is running) and then eventually (maybe after 15 mins or so) goes off completely.
Had exactly the same problem with my '07 wagon: at startup, both lights would come on, do their little dance, and then one would shut down.

Changed the bulbs, problem went away.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts