Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Superbad
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
bought some CA's from ECS Tuning. Febi-Bilstein to be exact. My 2 Front Uppers (Curved) don't match. Please verify i'm not losing my mind, and its a mistake on either Febi's end or ECS's or me?

According to ETKA OEM VW/AUDI P/N's

8E0 407 510A = Front Upper Right (Curved)

8E0 407 509A = Front Upper Left (Curved)

i've searched everywhere, and it seems every single kit, be it Febi/Meyle/MTC/034/FCP Groton/Lembfroder all seem to have that Black Nipple opposite the ball joint. Only ones that don't have them are the Stern Adjustables. Currently, the OEM's i still have on my car also have these damn nipples. So what the hell is going on here, both arms say Febi and stamped Germany on them. One says L and the other says R. I don't get why they are different. i looked between platforms, B5 and B6's for A4's and they all have that nipple.

here's the kit i purchased: Uppers only Kit
http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Passat_B5-FWD-1.8T/Suspension/OEM/ES263958/

i also have the lowers OEM VW (bought these cuz i thought the blowout sale was gonna end soon) i may have to check if OEM's match.
http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Passat_B5-FWD-1.8T/Suspension/OEM/ES337518/

·
Mr. Bieber 1st place WaterFest 17
4,625 Posts
its not about being lower, its that the arms don't match. Look at the ball joint. It's almost like they are completely different types. :crazy:
Didnt even realize that, I was just looking at the black nipple :lol:

Your not going crazy. Something aint right there... One looks used.. or am I going crazy? :banghead:

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
I don't know if it was used, but the one with the red cap have been compressed already. See the retaining ring (the one on the right). it is clearly pushed in more then the one on the right.

The boot is different and the arm is different. These are NOT matching arms. period.

ECS has to make good, but the company they order from screwed them hard.

ECS doesn't keep things 'in stock'. They are a whole sale'er (which is why they are cheap). you order it from ECS, then they order it from the warehouse, shipped to ECS and then shipped to you. So, at the end, never paid for 2nd day air because you will Never get it in two days.

·
Superbad
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't know if it was used, but the one with the red cap have been compressed already. See the retaining ring (the one on the right). it is clearly pushed in more then the one on the right.

The boot is different and the arm is different. These are NOT matching arms. period.

ECS doesn't keep things 'in stock'. They are a whole sale'er (which is why they are cheap). you order it from ECS, then they order it from the warehouse, shipped to ECS and then shipped to you. So, at the end, never paid for 2nd day air because you will Never get it in two days.
This is by no means a "let's bash ECS-Tuning" thread. I just needed confirmation that I was not going crazy for seeing that these arms are definitely different. This has been my 1st discrepancy / issue with ECS since i began ordering from them 5 years ago. I will give them a chance to make things right. I sent an email with pictures of the arms and the package as is to their customer service department and CC'd our resident sponsor [email protected] I might even send them a link to this thread for further evidence that i'm not losing my mind. Luckily, ground shipping from OH to NJ is extremely fast (comes in 2 days always on time via UPS).

I hope this gets resolved as my car sounds like a horrible pirate ship, getting embarrassed to drive it since its clunking / groaning so loud :cry:

·
RETIRED Super Stealth Moderator
27,881 Posts
having replaced more than a couple of sets of control arms, I can tell you they absolutely are supposed to be like that - different ball joints. one should have the nipple, and one shouldn't. iirc, it is the rear one that should have the nipple.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
This is by no means a "let's bash ECS-Tuning" thread.
WOW! where in my post was i "bash ECS-Tuning". All I did was state what happens over there. It is not a bash, but i was hoping you might understand how and why you might get two different parts in the box. Also, I would never opt to 2 day shipping because of this. Maybe you have your threads confused with another one. I have spent over $1,500.00 with them last year, so I have nothing to "bash" about...

Any way, like i said

Good luck any ways...

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,947 Posts
having replaced more than a couple of sets of control arms, I can tell you they absolutely are supposed to be like that - different ball joints. one should have the nipple, and one shouldn't. iirc, it is the rear one that should have the nipple.
Jay the curved arm is the rear. These are rear uppers That is why he is questioning. OP, have you called ECS?

·
Superbad
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
WOW! where in my post was i "bash ECS-Tuning". All I did was state what happens over there. It is not a bash, but i was hoping you might understand how and why you might get two different parts in the box. Also, I would never opt to 2 day shipping because of this. Maybe you have your threads confused with another one. I have spent over $1,500.00 with them last year, so I have nothing to "bash" about...

Any way, like i said

Good luck any ways...
Just wanted to make it clear that it wasn't a complaint, more like a "let's verify this first" sort of thing. And was by no means calling you out of any sort. (so lets just take a breather there). There's numerous threads in both here and Audizine lately bashing ECS. I for one think its not professional to publicly complain without in good faith trying to let the vendor make amends.

but thanks, for the info!

These are rear uppers That is why he is questioning. OP, have you called ECS?
Yes, i called them up, they were more than willing to help rectify. They asked me to take pictures of the parts in question, and once verified will move towards a prompt resolution. Unfortunately, it wont be received or processed til Monday.

·
Registered
27,856 Posts
Visually they are slightly different, but I expect they will still line up and perform the same. The rubber bump just stops the arm from hitting the inner wheel well. I have seen plenty of lowered cars with dents inside the engine compartment from them making contact.

·
Registered
11,873 Posts

This is no completely true, they do stock alot of items. If you order an item that is not instock then don't use the 2nd shipping cause you won't get it in 2 days. That said if everything on your order is instock you will get it in 2 days from when it ships.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
This is no completely true, they do stock alot of items. If you order an item that is not instock then don't use the 2nd shipping cause you won't get it in 2 days. That said if everything on your order is instock you will get it in 2 days from when it ships.
replied by PM.

·
Superbad
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Visually they are slightly different, but I expect they will still line up and perform the same. The rubber bump just stops the arm from hitting the inner wheel well. I have seen plenty of lowered cars with dents inside the engine compartment from them making contact.
From your experience, are you 100% certain with this statement?

*Update

After hearing back from ECS, according to them, Febi has updated and revised one of the arms, that being 8E0 407 509A = Front Upper Left (Curved). That arm specifically does not have the rubber grommet (Nipple) on the backside of the ball joint. The other CA 8E0 407 510A = Front Upper Right (Curved), has not been revised and will remain with the rubber grommet (nipple).

They offered to ship out a replacement so my arms match, but unfortunately all their Febi-Bilstein CA's in their inventory either have the grommet (510A) or don't have the grommet (509A). There isn't one where there is either both grommets or no grommets at all. They in good faith, did everything they could do to help me out. So here i am with this predicament. Each option requires spending more $. Either i chose 034 Density line or i go with OEM or Lembdfroder. I don't know if i purchase from another vendor, a set of Upper Febi's that they will have a different batch or the same grommet on 1 and none on the other sort of thing.

Any ideas, suggestions? Should i just bite the bullet and order Lembfroder's? I plan on keeping the car forever barring no catasthropic incidents. If these arms are just visually not matching, but mechanically they both "should" work, the i'm all for staying with it. Control arms are kind of a big job, and i would like to not have to do things more than once if i can prevent it.

·
Registered
11,873 Posts
I personally would not even worry about it, if the confired that these parts will fit your car I would install them and go fowards, also I would not consider change the arms a big job, and more then likely if you keep the car long enough you will have to do them again.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Personally, I'd still question the "grab bag" of parts you got. It makes no sense that Febi would update one side and not the other. If that nipple/grommet serves a purpose on one side, it serves a purpose on the other.

·
Registered
27,856 Posts
I would put them on my car without a worry.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I would put them on my car without a worry.
Agreed. We get arms of both styles from Worldpack, Audi, and other resellers all the time. They will both work as directed by the manufacturer.

Vote #3 on just running them, unless you are going for some crazy concourse show in which the judge will poke through your suspension for a nipple check. ;)

·
Superbad
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
*Update to the previous Update

So, i could not stand the idea of having mismatched parts. Went ahead and got me a set of TRW Upper CA's from ECWerks. Hot damn they are awesome!!! Thumbs up for lightning quick shipping, Thanks Dmitry!!!!

As for the Febi Arms, i went ahead and spoke to ECS and a really awesome dude named Chris helped me out. Very understanding and nice guy. Provided prepaid label for me to return the Febi arms in exchange for store credit. I'm taking that store credit and getting the Ultimate Timing Belt kit for my AEB, which i plan on doing within this month anyways. So its a win win.

In conclusion, my Arms finally match, i got a quality set, Dmitry owner of ECWerks is Awesome, Chris @ ECS Tuning also awesome, and hopefully my B5 will be loving the new OEM Lowers + TRW Uppers hot damn gimme that new steering feeling!

Here are some shots of the TRW Upper CA's (TRW for you noobs are OEM distributor to VW/Audi, just like Lembfroder).

Look nipples on both Arms woooohoooo:p

1 - 19 of 19 Posts