Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it just me or has anyone else noticed how VW has removed certain options from 2007+ 4Motion Passats. I know the Passat is a highly engineered vehicle but if VW continues to cut costs by removing options, many owners might have to bump up to an Audi.

Any opinions?

Will aka The Swami

·
Registered
13 Posts
I don't think so... The corporate setup of VW is very European oriented. They only ship what they sell. Meaning some dealerships only have certain models in certain colors. Good luck getting what you want. More than ever you just buy what is there. I just bought the last new 07 on the dealer lot. It has every option except ipod. Leather, heated seats, sport package, tinted windows, high end stereo. I doubt they want you at AUDI.

·
Resident a-hole knowitall
15,715 Posts
ya what options are we talking about, i just jumped into an audi and what to know what i got that you new passat owners didnt get, besides a dealer thats actually nice to me :poke:.

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
What options.
I heard VW is getting rid of AFS and headlight washers, also that the brand is going to market a mid-sized sedan to compete with the Camry and Accord which possibly calls for a lower displacement V6 engine.

Do audi's have AFS
Currently all 2006+ Audi's have the option for Adaptive Lighting or AFS.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I looked at an Audi Wagon yesterday and noticed a spot in the front bumber for headlight wipers/washers. I can't think of any other options not offered by VW. Although it would have been nice to get the cold weather package that the Touraeg has. Heat is blown from the engine to the interior for heating the car for 30 minutes after parking. So if you run short errands, you can get into a pre-warmed car. NICE

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
In my opinion for VW to become more competative they need to drop the 3.6 Passat and produce only 2.0T models and offer 4-motion and keep the pricing below 30K. If they want to compete in the 30K-40K segment, they need to offer another vehicle separate from the Passat though I don't think it would do well right now. I personally believe that VW could increase they volume with the right packages in 2.0T to compensate for losses on sales of 3.6L Passats, but they would need to market it properly. Can they do it, sure, will they do it, no. When the average American consumer thinks Passat, they think Camry, Accord competition. They then go to dealers and see 35K stickers on Passats and walk away. Very few people cross shop BMW, Audi and Mercedes even Lexus and Infiniti with Passats, even though the 3.6 is comparable. The Passat should be a volume family car at around the same pricing as it's Japanese competition.

As much as I love VW and would love to put together the "perfect" Passat, I am not the typical car buyer, nor are most of the people here. And as much as I would like VW to cater to us, we are not the ones that will increase volume.

It's early and I am rambling on...

·
Registered
177 Posts
I heard VW is getting rid of AFS and headlight washers, also that the brand is going to market a mid-sized sedan to compete with the Camry and Accord which possibly calls for a lower displacement V6 engine.
Headlight washers were dropped for the GTI for 2007/2008 models. 2006 models had them.

I personally think it is related to VW's new US market strategy as well as the falling value of the US dollar...

Who knows, Porsche could make a run for VW and we will all have to sit back and watch what happens...

Stay tuned...

·
Registered
126 Posts
A 2.0T with 4 motion should be offered, I mean thats the base A4, why not with the Passat??

(I know that the b6 does not have real Quattro like the A4 anymore, but the average buyer DOES NOT)

·
Registered
11,874 Posts
A 2.0T with 4 motion should be offered, I mean thats the base A4, why not with the Passat??

(I know that the b6 does not have real Quattro like the A4 anymore, but the average buyer DOES NOT)
It would cut into the a4 market.

Why no offer the 2.0T and 3.2 v6 that would be a better combo, you still need the v6 in the american mark or you will lose a lot of buyers I believe.

·
Registered
645 Posts
It would cut into the a4 market.

Why no offer the 2.0T and 3.2 v6 that would be a better combo, you still need the v6 in the american mark or you will lose a lot of buyers I believe.
Yes thats true without V6 in america all goes to hell, cause americans waste fosil fuels :poke: :cool:

·
Registered
795 Posts
Have to have a V6. The 3.6 competes perfectly with Accord/Camry V6, but when you factor in all of the advanced technology that comes along with it (bi-xenon, hill hold, key fob, dynaudio, etc, etc.), you get a $35K base price. Many seem to forget that a fully loaded Camry can inch into the $32K mark as well, but when you have to pony up $35K JUST to get a V6...Well suffice to say that's where VW went wrong. The 3.6 should be offered in a model that starts around $27K.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts