Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I´ve just reached 40.000 miles (62.000 Km) on my AEB 98/99 1.8T and I´m starting to think it´s time for a timing belt job (I hear wissles sometimes and I suspect it´s the tensioner).

Looking around I found this kit with 14 parts for sale on e-Bay for US$ 250 but I´m not sure if the seller and/or brands are actually reliable. Have you ever heard about this FCP Grotton, LLC store? Do they sell good stuff?

I´m asking this because I never heard of any of these brands before: Continental, Hepu, GMB. SKF... :confused:

The pack includes:
  • 058109119C Continental Conti Tech Original Equipment Timing Belt
    • 058109243E T Belt Dampner UPDATED
    • 058109479B T Belt Tensioner UPDATED
    • 058109244 Timing Belt Idler Roller
    • 068103085D Camshaft Seal UPDATED X 3
    • 058145271 Contintental OEM V Belt Alternator WP P/S
    • 058903137E Multi Rib Belt Contintenal OEM
    • 058260849A A/C Multi Rib Belt Continental OEM
    • 050121113C Stock OEM Replacement Thermostat
    • 026121005K Updated Water Pump with Metal Impeller
    • 026121041M Water Pump Gasket
    • N90353501 Intermediate Shaft O Ring

Suggestions and opinions are welcome, I´m kinda lost here! :(

Thanks.

·
Registered
353 Posts
i just purchased my tb wp deluxe kit from Germanautoparts.com. It came with Timing belt , cam tensioner, idler pulley , wp w/ metal impeller , thermostat , thermostat o-ring , accesory belt, and water pump gasket. i also purchased the 4 liters of antifreeze. subtotal was 257 and came out to 268.xx shipped out of ny

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Hepu is one of the oem suppliers - of good note is the metal impellar (v. plastic) in the water pump.
Continental manufactures tires - I would think the belts (timing and altenator) are of good quality.
Everthing else looks oem an updated.

·
Registered
4,819 Posts
I´m asking this because I never heard of any of these brands before: Continental, Hepu, GMB. SKF
Haven't heard of GMB. The other three are OEM approved parts suppliers.

If you determine that GMB is really GMBh (German term that translates roughly to manufacturing), you're OK.

·
Registered
4,819 Posts
I would trust FCP Grotton (Grotton, CT) to sell only OEM approved parts, but shipping to Rio is going to bite you hard in the ass (count on that).

Maybe look for something more local. Not sure what the exchange rates would be.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I would trust FCP Grotton (Grotton, CT) to sell only OEM approved parts, but shipping to Rio is going to bite you hard in the ass (count on that).

Maybe look for something more local. Not sure what the exchange rates would be.
No way, i´m shipping it to a friend in Miami and then he will send it to me through his contacts.

You think it´s heavy? Shipping rate would be like US$ 41 / Kg. Unless this kit is too heavy it will still be a good deal. Just the tensioner here costs around R$ 1.500 (US$ 750)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts