Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On January 14, some 8 days ago at this posting, the newest NMS Passat that will become our 2020 model was unveiled at the Detroit Auto Show, and not a single person here has said a word about it. This B7 section should have been flooded with comments! Moreover, the VW News section is full of reviews of cars that have absolutely nothing to do with Volkswagen. What's up with that? Is this site on borrowed time? With the exception of those with older models having a particular issue or question about, it's as if nobody cares about the future of the Passat. Are there no enthusiasts left here? :confused:

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's very disappointing, because a 21 and 16-year-old Passat won't last forever, and if someone was really a Passat enthusiast, they'd be wanting the line to keep going and be looking forward to the next generation. Your comment reminds me of many in the air-cooled crowd, those who call themselves VW enthusiasts that have a 50-year-old Beetle or Bus for 'fun," but have something like a Chevy Cruze or Ford Explorer in their driveways for daily use instead of a Jetta or Atlas.

·
Registered
26,585 Posts
I have little use for a large sedan now. 20-30 years ago I did but the kids were still kids then. Now they are 34 and 32 and don't live nearby. I would buy a new compact-to-mid size Passat wagon if they still made one, even a wagon on the sedan platform would be ok. Since they don't make it, I can't buy it. Instead I will be buying a Tiguan, it's the same length and 2" wider than my B5 wagon, has nearly identical cargo room, has more rear seat legroom, better mpg, and more power (stock). My wife really enjoyed the off-paved-road adventures on our last trip and wants something able to drive on the rough roads without damage and less worry about getting stuck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Being new to VW in November, I posted a question with hundreds of views but no help. I've been on other forums for Ford and Chevy and have gotten tons of help on my questions. Just look at the posts here...you see some with a thousand views but only 4 or 5 replies, lots of posts with zero replies, C'mon I feel there is not much interest here...moving on to other VW Audi forums.

·
Registered
72 Posts
This site is not dead, there just seems little interest in the new platform Passat.
Here over in Europe it’s different, but from my understanding, the European Passat and American Passat are not the same anymore since the B7 already.

I agree with the post before mine that a lot of post don’t have answers and yet they do have a lot of views.

In my view it’s seeming that there is only few here that have knowledge a out the newer platform and are still active here.

I think if we can help the ones with problems here more often, we can keep this forum great.

After all, no matter which platform Passat you’re driving, you are driving a Passat!!

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This site is not dead, there just seems little interest in the new platform Passat.
Here over in Europe it’s different, but from my understanding, the European Passat and American Passat are not the same anymore since the B7 already.

I don't know how many here are in Europe as opposed to the US, but the US Passat IS our Passat and I would think there'd be SOME interest. If we got the Euro Passat, it would cost $15K more, and sales would plummet. What makes the NMS nice is a reasonable price for those not needing the latest gadgets and just want a competitively-priced, comfortable, soft-riding sedan that still has a VW badge. Even in "Americanized" form, the Passat is still a great car.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I don't know how many here are in Europe as opposed to the US, but the US Passat IS our Passat and I would think there'd be SOME interest. If we got the Euro Passat, it would cost $15K more, and sales would plummet. What makes the NMS nice is a reasonable price for those not needing the latest gadgets and just want a competitively-priced, comfortable, soft-riding sedan that still has a VW badge. Even in "Americanized" form, the Passat is still a great car.
I agree, there should be some (more than shown now at the forum) interest. With a big forum world wide, there should be more enthausiast on it.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There's a site called VW Vortex here in the States, and off that, a sub-site called the Car Lounge. The people in the Car Lounge are very negavite and quick to call anyone that doesn't agree with their profound wisdom idiots and fanboys. The Vortex is less hostile, but here in the US, it's tough being the type of VW guy I am, because you either have the Old School air-cooled crowd that is not only uninterested in any VW with an engine in the front, but many also have no idea what a Passat or Jetta even IS, OR....you have a bunch of kids in their 20s that think every VW made after about 1995 has to be lowered, slammed, stanced, and have a set of wheels on it that would set the averge person back a month's pay. I'm the oddball that likes Late Model STOCK VWs just as they come from the factory and don't care about 0-60 times or whether or not it can perform on a race track. I'm emotionally attached to the VW brand and have loved their products ever since I was a kid in the 1960s riding in the back of my dad's 1957 Oval Window Bug.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I know VW Vortex as well yes, the only part of the site I regularly visit is the 4sale part.

And sometimes other parts when it comes up through google in my search for something.

I am, like you, also not a fan of slaming it as low as it can. I like the stock hight and look as well.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I am new to Volkswagens, when I bought my B6 Passat, last summer, I looked for VW forums to learn about my car. I found Passat world and VWvortex Passat forum. It seems that VWvortex is much more active than this forum, I can't say why.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
just stay away from the Car Lounge. There are some FB Passat groups out there, but most of them are outside the US and in Europe or Asia, and since they get a different Passat, I don't follow them. VW Corporate has a FB page, but like the Car Lounge, it has its share of haters and trolls.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
To me, anyone who slams VW's decisions or current lineup is a troll. People making snide remarks about Check Engine Lights, predicting dismal failure on any new model that comes out, predicting that the company will abandon the US every time sales drop a few percentage points, calling new models "fugly," or our US versions "junk" when compared to European, referring to automatic transmissions as "autotragic," etc..... All trolls. I've found that about every third poster in the Car Lounge fits that description, at least when any VW is discussed. Dieselgate added even more ammunition.

·
Registered
28 Posts
You have a pretty low threshold for what constitutes a troll. Discussion and disagreement is what makes a forum interesting and it attracts more participants.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You have a pretty low threshold for what constitutes a troll. Discussion and disagreement is what makes a forum interesting and it attracts more participants.
Indeed I do. I believe real enthusiasts should focus on the positive and look at the metaphorical glass as being half-full, not half-empty. I believe disagreement makes a forum hostile and uninviting.

·
Registered
26,585 Posts
The Car Lounge is not VW centric, it is accessed from multiple vehicle sites via AutoGuide/VerticalScope Inc. They own the Vortex and PassatWorld. They own hundreds of auto websites but I don't know how many share the CL. They are car enthusiasts at the Lounge, but many do not not like VW just as you hate certain car mods/styles.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I know that, and it's another good reason for loyal VW owners and enthusiasts to stay away. Even back in the days I had a 1969 Bug for shows, I avoided the all-old-car events and stuck with VW shows because the people into something like 1957 Chevys or 60s-era muscle cars are a totally different crowd than those focused on Volkswagens.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I know of no one these days who cares about VW’s, including those who were boosters years ago. Everyone is mesmerized by SUVs and trucks, not even interested in VW’s offerings. No one even wants to ride in my loaded 04 Passat (that’s also true for my 16 A6). They want to jam me into their tiny SUV. All of the small SUVs have terrible rides, but no one seems to be aware. My 04 is for 4 or less a superior vehicle in nearly every way. I’m not motivated to replace it anytime soon. To everyone else it’s just an old car. The 04 Passat is a rebadged and better styled 04 A6, and was years ahead of its time. (The 16 A6 is a completely different vehicle.) VWs are even more uncool than minivans. I don’t know why no one buys the Atlas or improved Tiguan, if they must have a truck. They would be my first choices if I needed a SUV.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts