Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My engine has either been consuming oil or leaking oil. Because 1.8Ts aren't really known for oil consumption, I am leaning more towards an oil leak. I have had to add about 1.5 quarts of oil in the past 4100 miles. Most of it was within the past 1100 miles.

I have noticed this seepage for a while now:

I also have oil on the airbox heat shield:

It's not normal for oil to be present at either of these two locations, is it? My engine is an AEB (1999). I'm using Mobil1 0W-40.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Make sure that this is not residue from sloppy oil changes before anything. If not, it could be the valve cover gasket (mine leaked). Also, check the back of the engine for more seepage, as the cam tensioner seals also tend to leak (mine did).

·
Registered
8 Posts
DrivinAJetta said:
I am leaning more towards an oil leak. I have had to add about 1.5 quarts of oil in the past 4100 miles. Most of it was within the past 1100 miles.
It looks by the photos that your Valve cover gasket is leaking which would lead one to believe the cam seals are leaking as well like the post above stated, but 1.5 quarts is a bunch of oil loss in a rather short period of time. If you don't see an obvious spotting on your drive way you might have some serious blow by developing.

How many miles on the motor? Are you the original owner? Do you know the history if not? How often do you do oil changes?

·
Registered
248 Posts
Watch out for the 0W-40 too, while it is a great oil it tends to consume faster than other oils, do a quick search and you'll see that some others have shyed away and gone for the 5W-40 instead to avoid the consumption issues

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm at 39,1XX miles now. It was dealer serviced up until 25k. At 30k, I started doing as much of the maintenance myself and letting an independent do the rest. I also started using synthetic at 30k (I thought the mileage was low enough). The car has had 5k oil change intervals its entire life.

I didn't start driving the car until July 2003 (28,XXX miles). But it has been in my immediate family since it was brand new, so the 10-year powertrain warranty should cover it, right?

I actually already have an August 23rd appointment with the dealer for the 40k service (I'm having it done at the dealer b/c it involves the various belt checks and I want documentation that it was done at a dealer). Do you guys think it would be okay to continue driving until 8/23 while topping off the oil? Or should I try to get the problem taken care of ASAP?

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Does the car leave any oil stains in the driveway?

The valve cover gasket is definitely a known problem. It is an easy fix too. With about 25 bucks and an hour or two of your time you can DIY. Buy the gasket set from __(insert your place to buy VW goods)__. Then go to the local auto store to purchase the blue sealing gunk made for this application. Follow this web site's instructions:

http://www.taligentx.com/passat/maintenance/valvecovergasket/

I would recommend bookmarking that website.

The 0w does seem pretty low. Might want to bulk up a little bit.

Also I would say perhaps the 1.5qt in 4100 miles really isnt drastic. I have read before that the industry is satisfied with 1qt of oil loss every 2000 miles. No one wants an oil leak I agree. However, if you take it up with VW under th warranty they might give ya that line. It is definitely worth your time and wallet to have the warranty do all the work it can for you, though.

At the recommendation of many fellow CB5ers, try a treatment of AutoRX. In the GB forum is some info to get it cheaper than advertised. I will be running this in my 1.8T tomorrow. I have only heard good things about it. Perhaps a treatment will improve your engine as well. :thumbup:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.