Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased 5mm spacers for the front and 15mm spacers for the rear. I was sent 10 bolts of the correct length for the rear but the front were too long so I installed my spacers w/ the stock bolts. My question is this: Should I remove the spacers until I obtain the correct length bolt or do you guys think I'm fine for now?

steve

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Its not grabbing as much thread, so I personally would leave them off.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know that getting longer bolts is an absolute must...wondering if I'll be ok w/ the 5mm spacers and the stock bolts until my new bolts arrive....My personal mechanic, Paul (PZ) :wink: , says it will likely be ok for a couple of days....but I'm not sleeping well these days and would like to know definitively...steve

·
Registered
134 Posts
This is not safe.

Under typical conditions it's fine but the unforseen usually bite's us in the ass when we're being foolish.
The deflected strength of the wheel assembly is reduced so a pothole or some other hasard that would
normally have you sweating will now have you watching your wheel take a little vacation from your car.

5mm is probably 20-25% of total thread contact. That's alot :sad:

·
Registered
25,996 Posts
SAVela said:
I know that getting longer bolts is an absolute must...wondering if I'll be ok w/ the 5mm spacers and the stock bolts until my new bolts arrive....My personal mechanic, Paul (PZ) :wink: , says it will likely be ok for a couple of days....but I'm not sleeping well these days and would like to know definitively...steve
I said it would make it to the dealer or Discount for new ones. I would not
be driving it around. How's the sway bar?

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That is actually what Paul said....not good for long (sorry for the misquote). I guess I'll remove those spacers...Discount didn't have what I needed.

I think that sway bar will be nice when pushed but I've been taking it easy worrying about those short bolts....I'll post a follow-up when they're off tomorrow. Instead of driving I spent some time installing a cellular antenna as well as hardwiring my V1....pics soon.

steve

·
Registered
20 Posts
Cut the long bolts off. Calculate the exact length by measuring the existing bolts +5mm. I think this will work.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
6 Participants
Nenad
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing