Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
5,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dad purchased 2 used Compaqs from a co-tenant in their building (seller closed up shop and sold their equipment). The PCs came with WinXP Home Edition and as most new PCs, have the product key sticker on the chassis. Now, my dad isn't too slick with computers. And so he failed to check if the CDs (most likely restore CDs instead of actuall install CDs) where given to him. Just found out that he didn't have them and I don't think he has a way of tracking the seller.

So now, would it be illegal to ask or copy someone else's Windows XP Home Edition CD? I mean, I won't be asking for the product key. As I mentioned above, we still have the product keys, but not the CD for us to reinstall the OS.

If it isn't, anyone care to hook me up?

If so, sorry. I'll edit/delete my post if what I'm asking for ends up being illegal.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Well, from my knowledge, here's what I believe/know/am guessing is correct...

1) Of course it's illegal. Making a copy of anything that's copyrighted and giving it to someone else is illegal. That's why we all love to do it so much :D

2) I'm pretty sure each Microsoft Operating System CD is encrypted with it's own special cd key. The CD you would have burned from someone would need the key for that CD, not the one listed on the computer. I had a problem with this with my dad's new computer and thought we had not gotten a CD sent and called the company back and asked if there's any way we could get another one and they said that it's impossible to get another CD to match the CD key with the computer.

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
You may try to contact Microsoft. Tell them that you have lost the CD and you need replacement. XP Home inventories the machine after install, and sends the data (serial numbers of HD, processor, CD ROM, memory etc.) to MS. So in my opinion, you will not have problem prove it's the machine for which the OS was purchased originally since all the components will match with the data MS has. They may send you new copy of XP for nominal fee (don't quote me on it, it's just what I would do, but then again I am not the dark empire)

Otherwise get pirated copy of XP Pro and don't worry about it. XP Pro does not check with MS so the Cyber Police will not get after you :lol:

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
The problem you’re going to run into is that it has to be a Compaq XP home cd to work. I don’t think it’s illegal. Your key on your pc is your license and most likely only works with Compaq XP home. You can probably call Compaq and purchase replacement cd’s. They usually cost $20 or so. You should only need 1 if they are both Compaq pc’s.

Also you’ll want to do some research since some newer pc’s come with a hidden partition that allows you to do a factory system restore without a cd

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
It's pretty easy to get 'unlicensed' CDs, even from MS or an authorized reseller - then you load the software, when it asks for the key, you type in the key on the sticker on the machine. Perfectly acceptable and legal.

·
wishin
3,664 Posts
pancreas said:
XP pro checks with MS. I've reinstalled it onmy laptop before.
The pirated copies don't...or at least that's what I've heard :lol:

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
JimDog said:
pancreas said:
XP pro checks with MS. I've reinstalled it onmy laptop before.
The pirated copies don't...or at least that's what I've heard :lol:
I've heard rumor of that, too. in fact, there are versions in the wild that don't phone-home at the slightest reconfig of hardware. imagine that.. ;)

I think those might be corporate versions where hardware configs are a reality.

at least that's what I've heard.

·
Registered
11,541 Posts
Rich, it's almost certain that those CD keys only work if you have a XP CD that has Compaq embedded in them.

MS XP CDs straight from Microsoft don't have a 1 to 1 match on CDs and keys. If you have the right keys, you can use them to activate any non-OEM CD.

I propose you send me 2 unused CDs and a SASE. I will be a jerk, use your CDs and then return you used goods!

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Do not delete your post. You have a right to try to find out what's compliant and what's not compliant with the license. How else can other people know for future reference anyway?

Don't let the bastards win. :mad:

:weirdo:

·
Registered
5,449 Posts
the question really is, is it illegal to steal from a thief? the thief being microsoft.

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Rich, for no particluar reason, post a mailing address that you have access to... some random person might send you a package. :D

·
Loose female member
4,889 Posts
You could always try pm'ing me and I might send you a ' XP key changer ' program :)

Of course it's illigal to use it but I will leave that choice up to you..

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
depending on how old the pc is, you don't need a specific compaq XP cd.
Compaq and HP stopped using those proprietary junk where you NEED to use their cd to make it work. I think the only company that still uses that is Sony.

Other than that, ANY Home addition XP cd you obtain will work with your serial number whether it calls in or not.

and definitely not illegal.

·
Registered
936 Posts
call up compaq....i had to buy another restore CD and it cost a whopping $20

you have the keys, the serial #'s, and thats all you need...

i believe technically the software is still licensed to thoes PC's, which are now yours, so you own the software....you just need to get the discs...

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
I recently reformatted my computer and reinstalled WinXP Home along with ALL OF MY SOFTWARE, and for some reason, I never had to put in the Windows Serial number on my computer :???: This is like the 3rd time I've reinstalled XP on my computer and I'm pretty sure I remember putting in the code again.

I also installed the XP CD that came with my Dell onto an old computer, put in the serial key for my computer, and it came back "In Use" or something like that, and then I tried again and everything's worked fine since :???:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts